Fly Tying
troutguy

Classic Dry Fly Trout Swap

CLOSED SEE NOTE FROM TROUTGUY

OK I have been out of swaps for a while. I just tied my hair wing flies for Bob Nelson's swap.

Trout season is coming soon. The hatches will be lifting off the water on those late afternoons in May and June. I love Catskill style drys. Those wood duck, mallard, teal divided wings or even the slate gray duck wings. Classic dries are beautiful. I live in South Carolina but I was raised near the Beaverkill and my heart is still there.

Mayflies are the key here. This swap will challenge you to go old school or it may be old home week for some. Pick a classic dry fly. Use Art Flick, Darbee or Dette or new comer's Mike Valla or Dave Brandt's books for ideas. Just because someone says Cahill or Hendrickson, doesn't mean you can't tie the same pattern. Duplicate patterns are fine.

Anyone who ties a size 10 or 12 Rat Faced McDougal wins a special prize.

Oh yea, prizes, one lucky person who swaps will win a complete male wood duck or wood cock. (Winner gets drawn randomly and I will PM you to ask which skin. Sorry continental USA only for prizes)

First person to sign up wins a 4 x 4 square of coyote.

Flies are due April 20th.

1. Troutguy #12 Catskill Adams (has divided mallard wings not hackle tips)

2. Dcap240 TBD ARRIVED

3. Henrik Thomsen (DK) ARRIVED

4. Joseph Russell ARRIVED

5. Vicrider ARRIVED

6. Shoebop ARRIVED

7. JasonV ARRIVED

8. Add147 ARRIVED

9 Atxdiscgolfer ARRIVED

10. Pyschoprince ARRIVED

11. Gunpowderleader ARRIVED

12. FishingBobNelson ARRIVED

13 phg - (replaced JayWirth) ARRIVED

All normal swap rules apply. Toe tags and adequate return postage are very important.

Im In.

The Beaverkill is my first love and had caught my attention long before I learned to sling a fly.

Dang pscyco, I had been thinking I'd do a quill gordon myself but there's lots of other options. Even if we duplicate I doubt we'd be identical. I tied one earlier and used micro-fibbets for the tail instead of white hackle since I didn't have good white hackle for tailing. Looks better with that anyway IMO.

I had honestly thought about a March Brown but atx grabbed it first. I have only tied a handful of Quill Gordons, so I am looking into some of the older versions right now thinking about dun hackle and tan wood duck flank. I don't fish a lot of dries, but I am taking a trip to Oregon this summer and I should actually have a chance to, so I did not want to pass this swap by!

Psycho- lets both tie a March Brown - I usually tie mine with a brown turkey Biot or goose biot for the body but the recipe calls for Fawn colored Rabbit Fur which I need to get so if you have fawn Rabbit fur then you do that version and I will tie the Goose Biot Body version that worked for me last year on the Lower Mt Fork during the March Brown hatch - think I caught like 30 fish that day on dries - personal best day ever on dries for me