Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Redfish Crab

We've been into some midday tides the past few days, and with the bright sunlight and calm conditions, the fish have not been aggressive - in fact, they were giving me fits, turning up their noses at everything I threw at them. I finally dug this crab out of the box and gave it a shot. (I'd forgotten it was even in there) The results were immediate and very positive. I hooked and landed the first fish I threw it at, and a couple more were chasing it before they spotted me and spooked. I immediately hooked two more - the first one threw the hook and the second one blew out the tippet. (which I usually replace every time out, but I guess I'd forgotten this time - DUH!) Of course, that was the only copy I had, but by then, there was so much water on the flats that the fish were impossible to spot, so I packed it in, went home, and whipped up a few more. Very simple tie - just calf tail, a little flash, a chenille spreader, and a few grizzly hackles. The eyes are plastic with tiny glass beads for pupils. I tied it on a #1 hook - it's fairly large for a crab fly, and I doubt it's original, but I'm really happy with the results. If I don't get blown off the flats, I'll give it another shot today.

post-281-0-75435900-1381154910_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-16247100-1381154926_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-74011100-1381154947_thumb.jpg

That is one sweet fly PJ, I love it! I always figured the only crabs you had were the ones you picked up during your time here in Florida!

Thanks guys - it's just basically a Keys tarpon fly with bug eyes. Sure looks good in the water - the fish were all over it. Looks like the flats fishing is shut down for a day or two. We had an eight-foot tide yesterday - nothing short of a killer whale would have been showing a tail out there.

Don't worry Andy - I didn't let that crack get by me. I would have happily traded what I picked up in Florida for a crab infestation. At least you can get rid of crabs without hiring a lawyer.

I'm with you, I'd take the infection any day over an ex, less long term damage to your health.

PJ, great looking fly! Glad you're still getting them! Been thinking about my time down there a lot! biggrin.png

Have you tried those hooks I gave you on any of those reds? I purchased a couple of packs of Allen's saltwater hooks to try out & got them on Monday. Nice hooks, except the SW002, similar to the Mustad 34007, are not particularly sharp. I went thru one entire pack & did the finger nail check & not one stuck. They all seem to have burrs on the points. Looks like they've been shaped in a cone, like sharpening a pencil. They appear to be plenty strong & the eyes are all closed well. I'll use them, just like I'll still use the old Mustads I have, but they need to have the points touched up.

The SW001 hooks, all were sharp. They remind me of the Mustad 7766 hooks. I think the size 1 will work well for yarn crab patterns & those reds! For the price, I would buy those Allen hooks again! Still a great deal even if I have to touch up the points! wink.png

Jim, you wouldn't believe how much water has been on those flats this week. I actually went over the tops of my hip boots getting back in Sunday, and that was nothing compared to what's out there now. Haven't done any tying except to replace the crab fly I lost - looks like I'm gonna have some time though, as the flats are gonna be shut down for a while yet. Really blowing out there.

post-281-0-95353000-1381330780_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-72518600-1381330803_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-81101300-1381330824_thumb.jpg

That's a lot of water! Well, you knew that weather we had was not going to last! Had to change at some point. Not that I need to, but I'm going to stock up on some flies, and perhaps get back down to fish with you again in the Spring! Keep me posted on the fishing if you can get back at them! biggrin.png

My blue claw crab is large to get the attention of large reds in the LA marshes in the winter.

post-18342-0-16360500-1382056766_thumb.jpg

Tidewater, that's the thing I like about the Allen SW hooks. Give them all a touch of sharpening stone and when they bang kelp and rocks and oysters etc redo. Not many of the bronze hooks I've used previously like more than two sharpenings.