Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Regenerating Hackle Machines

I have these chickens and the two roosters have come to the end of the line. Before moving to Florida I was addicted to duck hunting, so killing and skinning birds is not a problem.

post-27925-0-36385600-1394408086_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-35885100-1394408120_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-35233100-1394408184_thumb.jpg

The Good ole days, dogs fist duck and his last group of ducks. Oh what day that was! Pics of pics, sorry.

post-27925-0-88341100-1394408288_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-20823300-1394407718_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-15596500-1394407748_thumb.jpg

My question is how to prepare the pelts…Have done deer tails, coyote and coon using salt and or borax. Think this will work for el pollo grande?

I plan on ringing their neck to eliminate the possibility of blood soaking the feathers, any other ideas?

One last thing…

Anybody here ever eat abalone? How about lingcod or BIG sea scallops?

post-27925-0-05470400-1394407936_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-47412200-1394408004_thumb.jpg

Ling is lovely fish. Are they actual scallops? If so id try gently pan frying same as little scallops. I guess all clams are much the same???

As for the bird, slice the skin under the chin and peel off the head. Then simply borax is all you'll need to cure the skin. If you get a little gore on there wash it all well before you peg it to a board. Use paper towel to blot dry most of excess then apply borax. If you can find it salt Peter is really really good but current laws on materials for explosives make it hard to find everywhere.

A friend has 4 turkeys he's doing for me.

The last pic is a sea scallop (dinner plate size) in one hand and ling cod in the other. The first pic in a wet suit is two red abalone, one of the best things I ever ate! When we stationed at Vandenberg we were either diving or hunting, it was the best of times.

Sounds simple enough, I plan on cutting off the wings and feet and then pulling off like a coat. I didn't now you could use saltpeter, we used to go to the drug store when is was a kid and get some to play with…burns with pretty colors.

Pan seared scallops with bacon a splash of maple syrup and heavy cream

There is no shame in that…

The last pic is a sea scallop (dinner plate size) in one hand and ling cod in the other. The first pic in a wet suit is two red abalone, one of the best things I ever ate! When we stationed at Vandenberg we were either diving or hunting, it was the best of times.

Sounds simple enough, I plan on cutting off the wings and feet and then pulling off like a coat. I didn't now you could use saltpeter, we used to go to the drug store when is was a kid and get some to play with…burns with pretty colors.

The saltpeter cures quicker than either salt or borax for the skins I've seen but as I say the amounts you can buy are limited now due to the terror laws.

Four turkeys Piker. Buddy! You going to use all those feathers?

Steve

That was my thought but its easier to just say thanks I'll have those than be picky ;)

I'm sure I will be able to give away some.

Wow those are some huge scallops! We only get the half dollar size ones here but damn they are good. You should get some really nice grizzly and badger feathers out of those birds.

By the way Dave, I love the Andre the Giant style wet suit

Hahhahaha AGN I was thinking the same thing. Is that andre the "not so giant" or is that Dave?? Sweet wet suit!!

Nice chickens you have there. I dont think they will work for anything. I will take them off your hands. Everything Ive read..Borax! But truth be told I haven't got a clue. Saltpeter (potassium Nitrate) for skins? Never heard that before. Dave cant even buy sudaphed anymore so I dont think Potassium Nitrate is an option.

It was an old farmer put me onto it. Used to be used in meat for sausages etc. He does his deer hides with it and works very very fast. For birds its probably overkill but if you have waterfowl which a typically fatty its a easy job doing them.

Saltpeter mixed with borax is what I use or just borax when I have trouble getting the saltpeter. Then lay it on 8 or 9 layers of need paper both skin and gather side with skin side down. Stack some heavy books or boards or plywood and bricks.... whatever is handy on top of it. Let sit for 3-5 days (depending on humidity) then remove all the song powder. Re apply and press it again. Repeat this until it's no longer leaving oily clumps of the powder. I do maybe 40 chickens (rosters and hens) a year this way. Works like magic. And they will be good for ever.

It was an old farmer put me onto it. Used to be used in meat for sausages etc. He does his deer hides with it and works very very fast. For birds its probably overkill but if you have waterfowl which a typically fatty its a easy job doing them.

Saltpeter ... in sausage?

The only thing I've heard about saltpeter is that it reduces the sex drive in men. It has always been used onboard military ships as a way of reducing the sexual urges of young fighting men at sea. At least, this is the rumors that circulated when I was in.

Wow those are some huge scallops! We only get the half dollar size ones here but damn they are good. You should get some really nice grizzly and badger feathers out of those birds.

By the way Dave, I love the Andre the Giant style wet suit

Hahhahaha AGN I was thinking the same thing. Is that andre the "not so giant" or is that Dave?? Sweet wet suit!!

Nice chickens you have there. I dont think they will work for anything. I will take them off your hands. Everything Ive read..Borax! But truth be told I haven't got a clue. Saltpeter (potassium Nitrate) for skins? Never heard that before. Dave cant even buy sudaphed anymore so I dont think Potassium Nitrate is an option.

I look good in black rubber don't I….

Saltpeter ... in sausage?

The only thing I've heard about saltpeter is that it reduces the sex drive in men. It has always been used onboard military ships as a way of reducing the sexual urges of young fighting men at sea. At least, this is the rumors that circulated when I was in.

Saltpeter is also used to make gunpowder + charcoal + sulfur… We said the same thing about the juice @ air force basic training….didn't work.