Fly Tying
spulve

Wanting to learn more

Hey everyone! I've been tying flies and fly fishing for roughly about 7 months now. I live in the swfl area so all I tie is saltwater flies. I hope to learn more about the art of tying and I figured that this would be a good start.
Here is some of my most recent work.

IMG_2039_zpspdxhbken.jpg

Welcome to the site, Spulve. Eastern, Central Florida here ... and I do my best to stay away from salt. Fresh water all the way, for me.

I'd throw that fly of yours at some bass, though. Looks fairly well tied. Maybe a little rough on the nose, but it's definitely fish-able.

Welcome to the site, Spulve. Eastern, Central Florida here ... and I do my best to stay away from salt. Fresh water all the way, for me.

I'd throw that fly of yours at some bass, though. Looks fairly well tied. Maybe a little rough on the nose, but it's definitely fish-able.

Thanks! salt gets tedious sometimes but I can't walk away from it. Yeah I've been playing around with ep brush, hard for me to get a clean nose job with it sometimes.

Thanks! salt gets tedious sometimes but I can't walk away from it. Yeah I've been playing around with ep brush, hard for me to get a clean nose job with it sometimes.

Just hold the fibers back and take careful wraps forward, make sure your thread is unwound so it lays down flat and that should clean it up.

I live less than a mile from salt, we are surrounded by salt water on Cape Cod and I have trouble walking to it ! Most people here ride bikes with baskets and rod holders and fish the 7 miles or so of canal out here for stripers and blues. But I drive 7-11 miles to fresh water lol ! I do like a little sea bass fishing every couple of years a little ways out in Buzzards Bay but that's drift fishing and jigging off the bottom on a good drift, not fly fishing. Up hear in New England the salt content is very high, very corrosive, it kills everything for me, from hands to lines, gear and fittings on the boat, even the bottom of the car from hauling the boat from the landings. I have very little interest in salt, it just wrecks everything, it's like fishing in an acid bath.

Just hold the fibers back and take careful wraps forward, make sure your thread is unwound so it lays down flat and that should clean it up.

I live less than a mile from salt, we are surrounded by salt water on Cape Cod and I have trouble walking to it ! Most people here ride bikes with baskets and rod holders and fish the 7 miles or so of canal out here for stripers and blues. But I drive 7-11 miles to fresh water lol ! I do like a little sea bass fishing every couple of years a little ways out in Buzzards Bay but that's drift fishing and jigging off the bottom on a good drift, not fly fishing. Up hear in New England the salt content is very high, very corrosive, it kills everything for me, from hands to lines, gear and fittings on the boat, even the bottom of the car from hauling the boat from the landings. I have very little interest in salt, it just wrecks everything, it's like fishing in an acid bath.

Thanks for your input, striper has been on my list for the fly rod for a long time, they look so fun on a fly rod. Salt water does get a little bit annoying but thats where the tarpon and snook are so I tough it out.

Islander.... do you ever fish in the Peace River? Is it still brackish near Northport?

Islander.... do you ever fish in the Peace River? Is it still brackish near Northport?

I don't think I have ever fished the Peace River, I'm not sure about north port, but I'm in cape coral and I live right next to a brackish water canal

Welcome! With all the rain, the spillways and locks should be kicking right now. Water is dropping fast though, my pasture dropped 3-4 inches since last week.