Fly Tying
Rickyshoeshine

Howdy from southern Il.

Howdy!!

I've been trying to fly fish for about four years. I just started tying about a month ago. I have a starter set up from bass pro and have made some foam beetles,San Juan worm and woolly huggers. I asked a friend if he knew of a cicada pattern and he told me about this forum.

I mostly fish for bass and bluegill.

My flyrod is a 7wt 9ft Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Krey with scientific anglers aircell 7wt wft floating line. The reel is an old Shakespeare Russell from the thirties or forties the my great uncle used. It works fine and is well balanced on the rod.

The forum has already taught me some things, so thanks for havin' me.

Rick

Hey rickyshoeshine! Welcome

I recently broke my dogwood canyon 9' 7wt...which I've loved over the past 5-6 years. I've been debating on getting the tfo lefty krey in place of getting another dogwood. How do you like it? The life time warranty is eye-catching also. Both the fly reels I keep rigged up are the old Shakespear.

I'm fairly new myself and yes, there is lots of good info here.

I really like the TFO Lefty Kreh. It picks up the line well and lays it down straight. I've caught quite a few 3lb class bass, both lm and sm and it played them well. I hooked one huge grass carp while fishing with a 4lb test leader and after a few minutes he decided it was time to go and it went, with my fly.lol The only rod I can compare it too are a couple cheapo fiberglass rods and there is no comparison.

Ricky, welcome! I'm a fan of those TFO rods as well & also a bass & panfish angler. However, I fish the salt too when I get the chance. I live near Lake Marion in SC.

I passed thru southern IL this past week (tractor trailer driver) on a trip up to LIncoln, NE & back here to SC. How close are you to Rend Lake?

I mentioned in another thread that I've had success with Sneaky Pete type sliders in black as a Cicada imitation in the past.

... the drag lost me a record snook

LOL Every fish I've lost was a trophy fish !!! Well, not EVERY fish. If I never get a look at it before I lose it, it was a Gar, Bowfin, carp or some other fish I don't mind losing.

If I SEE it before I lose it ... I remember it being a world record fish.

I blame my gear, too.