Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Willie Rip

Hi, from Alabama

It's been a long time since I posted here, so I figure I'd post here again. While I don't fly fish per se, I do tie flies instead of using lures for my fish. In fact I handline fish only. Here one of my more recent streamers a few catfishermen asked me to work for flatheads.

PerchPattern4inches.jpg

Neat looking "fly tied" lure, Willie. Welcome to the site.

Do you have any videos of some of that hand lining action?

Willie ... that is a very neat way to catch some fish. I fly fish, now, but I've used many methods for catching fish. The only time I hand lined, was during survival scenario training. It can be an effective food gathering technique.

I have one suggestion, if I may. My experience with Bluegill and other sunfish is that they don't move too far from a chosen location. You kept talking of catching the fish as you swept towards shore and back out. I speculate that you were passing over an area of structure or cover that was holding most of the fish.

Next time you run into that situation, stay where you caught the fish. Don't troll, just fish straight down into that position. You might have to fish a single fly rig, but as you lower it into the fish holding feature, you should get hits every time, until you spook the fish too much. Then you'll have to move to the next spot. It is very possible to limit out in one spot, if the school is large enough.

Thank you for the video. I probably would've "tossed my cookies" if I'd spilled that attractant goop on myself. LOL

Yeah, that's why I fish is to harvest food. I can tell you what the structure is: moving out over the old river channel from shore simulates fleeing bait fish. But I've caught many fish out there is the middle of the river channel, and I've always on the prowel for catfish.

I think the dragging the handline on the river bottom as I do gives you a good sense of what structure you're dealing with. That whole river bottom is flat and fairly uniform. There really is not much structure, very subtle dips and humps.

Man, I don't like casting. It's too much fiddling for me.

Welcome Willie -- very interesting method of fishing, I enjoyed your video. My experience with hand-lining is limited to a few readings of The Old Man and the Sea. :) Welcome to the forum!