Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iroc_Jeff

Craft Fur & Alternatives

I never used Craft Fur before so is there a brand to get or avoid? How about alternatives? I've used Congo Hair from FTD but didn't not like it. Is their Water Silk similar to craft fur? I'm going to be making smallmouth jigs and then streamers and want to use something other than deer hair.

Nothing I've gotten from FTD is as fine as craft fur. He might have something like it, but not that I know of.

I've purchased many different craft furs from the sewing and hobby stores. None of them are as long as what I've gotten from fly tying stores.

I'd give the ftd starburst fibers a try as well I particularly like the golden peacock color many others are good too though.

Hairline Extra Select craft fur is by far the best Ive found. Its not too expensive either, unless you are tying in bulk perhaps, so no need to look for a cheap substitute

There is a synthetic material that looks like fur and youre looking for an alternative. I guess that makes it fake, fake fur. Ever thought of using real fur as an alternative to craft fur?

I use squirrel tail, skunk tail, fox tail, bison beard etc. hair for anything wanting craft fur. I dislike most synthetics for fly tying and use dead animal parts as often as possible.

There is a synthetic material that looks like fur and youre looking for an alternative. I guess that makes it fake, fake fur. Ever thought of using real fur as an alternative to craft fur?

Yeah, ya know, maybe various choices or brands ? Kinda what i mentioned in the post..... rolleyes.gif

Here's a tip for anyone doing a lot of glue work (of any kind) when at the tying desk.... Old craft fur base fabric (after you've used up the hair) cut up into a 3x3 square makes a great glue clean up pad - from any glue dispenser, to keep the tip clear for the next usage. Once the glue dries out on the pad you've made it's a simple matter to remove most of the dried glue with a thumbnail... The pad I set up years ago has lasted through hundreds of dozens of flies - and if I ever lose it I've plenty of half used craft fur pieces as replacement candidates...

I like that tip, Bob. Thank you. Now if I can just tie enough flies to have a 3x3 patch of fabric.

I decided to go with Arctic Fox Tail since I'm just making 1/8 or smaller hair jigs for smallmouth right now. Got Olive and Black so far and they turned out well. I've got 23 more Olive to make and 25 Black. Jigheads were collarless and I got those on ebay. Painted with black acrylic paint then 5 min epoxy brushed on.

post-37461-0-10221600-1581178924_thumb.jpg