Fly Tying
Crotalus

Finally tried some mice

I have never done any real hair spinning other than the heads on zoo cougars so i decided to try some mice.

Overall I am happy, I still need a lot of improvement on the body shaping and trimming, but it will come with practice. the upper left was the first mouse and the lower right was the last. I will probably add either glue on eyes or use black sharpie. not sure whether to use the pink dubbing on the nose or not.

post-1597-0-71039200-1327946441_thumb.jpg

and one bonus to tying on a size 2 hook - no need for reading glasses :)

I like the one on the top row/right. The pink nose is good too but I like the smaller nose in the middle/bottom row

To match what flyderaght is describing, I like a tan foam back with spun white hair clipped on the bottom. Between the hair and foam, they won't sink and make a nice, noisy splash.

To match what flyderaght is describing, I like a tan foam back with spun white hair clipped on the bottom. Between the hair and foam, they won't sink and make a nice, noisy splash.

Remember a mouse swimming - its body is underwater, and only the top of the head and snout are out. I am trying to imitate this by tying this Drowning Mouse with a buoyant head out of the moose fur, and rabbit tail. The head and the hook are connected with a loop of a pike tippet material (plastic covered steel cable). I was catching fish up to 30 pounds with this fly.

post-34261-0-11296200-1328572351_thumb.jpg

I like that fly. Articulated flies are something I want to work on this year and i think I just found my first subject.

I fish a lot of night mouse patterns, at least fifty nights a year. Spun mouse flies look great but don't get anywhere near as much attention for me as other mouse patterns. I'm with "Russia" on this one, mice swim low with their heads up. My preferred head is always foam and the body is marabou if I have to make long casts, craft fur if I don't. All of my mouse flies articulate and have the rear hook set way back. The first year I fished them I had a ton of short hits. The rear hook increased my hit to hook up ratio by over 70%.

I'm actually tying up fifteen for a fly swap here at FTF. I will post a pic of a few and as soon as I get back to the bench I will shoot some SBS shots. Let me go shot a pic, post following in a few minutes.

post-30681-0-58544000-1328663595_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-71785900-1328663613_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-61266400-1328663634_thumb.jpg

The first image is my standard mouse fly, Gamakatsu B10S hooks, foam disk head and foam strip tail, craft fur body, moose hair whiskers. Almost six inches long from bow to stern.

The second image shows the standard mouse beside one I tied with a foam head I carved to look a little more realistic.

The third image shows several sizes and colors, can be modified to match your local critter. These range from three to almost six inches.

I also tie mink and muskrat flies for big trout. Same technique and materials, three hooks with four articulation points. these are about ten inches long with a slightly more slender body.

Wow nightheron those are awesome. I gotta try them. That would work for night fishing for sure here.

I have never used or bought craft fur. What is it and where can I get it? Is it easy to work with? Thanks. Jeremy

More great looking flies, you guys are giving me a ton of new ideas to try out. I am thinking FFR's spun head and nightheron's fur body might be a good combo.

Per a couple of your requests, I have added a SBS pattern description for my mouse fly in the Step By Step Forum. If any of you have additional questions feel free to message me. Sorry it is so long but there are a lot of steps to this fly. The SBS is a single hook articulated fly but I have described how to convert it to a two hook fly. Hope you tie a few of these for dawn, dusk and night fishing. Some flies look cool others catch fish. This one catches fish, and I have the pics to prove it. If you are on the fence with this fly I can post fish pics.