Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

ZeeWulffs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

ZeeWulffs 

My brown neck is all used up and a new one is $60 bucks for Bronze grade.  Gimme a break. I might be done with expensive feathers.  All my life I couldn't afford them. Now I can. And now I don't seem to want them anymore.

I use Wulffs mostly for a bobber this time of year, with an itty bitty BWOlive trailing behind--that I can't see because I'm old and my eyesight is--defective.  These two are made with two colors of Zelon. Black and White.  
 up-2018-10-11-19.00.33_DMap_ZeeWulffs.jp

The hackles are a fabric cement dubbing loop.  Make the loop.  Wet the two thread legs of the loop with fabric cement.  Load the fibers. Twist it a little but not much.  Put a thin film of fabric cement on the shank. Wind the dubbing loop, pulling forward facing fibers back with each wrap. Whip finish.

Now pull all the fibers forward and trim with scissors so they're all the same length.  Push the fibers back. Groom it with a toothbrush. Set it aside.  Once the fabric cement sets the hackle fibers keep their right-angles-to-the-shank orientation. And stay putt too.

Will these float well enough? We'll see.  I hope so anyway.  I'll fishing'em next week.

:=))

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com */

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:18 AM

Here's a 1/2 cape Metz grade 2 brown for you, $22.50....
http://www.flytyingf...653#entry730423
(Shameless self-promotion)
cb27

#3 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

I'm a prototype maker rather than a craftsman. Now that I can't see my flies are more ragged than ever.   Here's the Royal ZeeWulff. For what it's worth.

A Brown Zelon fabric cement dubbing loop keeps the hackle locked in place.  You have to twist the dubbing loop only a few turns in order to keep the hackle-like appearance, which by itself would make a fly whose hackles eventually come out.  But a little fabric cement fixes it. 

Widow's Web wings as one strand pulled up around the shank from both sides, in order to make two wings.

I didn't have moose main for the tail so I used Mule Deer. 

up-2018-10-12-09.25.07_DMap_Royal-Wulffm

#4 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

They look good to me and I believe they will catch fish. It is a real thrill to me when someone comes up with an alternative that works for less money. Good job.
Joe

#5 tferg

tferg

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

Keep us updated on how these flies perform - I'm liking them.

#6 Abel M.

Abel M.

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

The royal zeewolf looks great! I like the substitute!

#7 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:22 PM

up-2018-10-13-11.04.42_DMap.jpg

#8 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hi guys,

I love the look of the Zee Wulffs. Question: How do you apply the Zelon hackle? Spin it around the hook? Use a dubbing loop? Or???? I look forward to your comments. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com