Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Capre/ RI Fishing questions...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

I haven't saltwater fished in awhile so I have a few questions.

1) What kind of leader do I need to fly fish?
2) What are some good go to patterns I should tie up?
3) Do I need some special liscense for saltwater or will the one I have for freshwater be fine?

Final question:

If I were to go fishing tomarrow (5/13/05), where would be a good place to try fpr a first attempt at FF the salt?(I'm approximately half way between boston and providence, if that helps). I'd probably be leaving around 2:00 when I get out of school.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

#2 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

In regards to your first two questions, what are you fishing for?

In regard to your third question, a saltwater liscence is not needed for RI or MA. Not yet anyway.... rolleyes.gif

If I could fish tomorrow, I'd find an estuary/outflow type area and catch it on the outgoing tide. That scenario should put an angler on some stripers this time of year, and perhaps even a few bluefish at this point.
Mark

#3 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

Out of school at 2:00 - high tide in most areas will be about 5 so moving water will be around 7 or so most areas...

If you are Mid-way between Boston and Providence then that's pretty close to the North River I'd guess...there are a few rivers in Wareham but I've never fished them.

Plymouth Harbor is another option - haven't fished it myself but guys have been getting some action there - wont be as consistent as a river though.

As for flies stick with deceivers and clousers and you'll be fine. Generally this is big fly time for me but to be honest I haven't caught a keeper yet this year.

If you want a bit more of a drive I'll be fishing on the Cape tomorrow night as I will be tonight and the night after that - God my life rules - either in my back yard Bass River or up in Sandwich...

Leaders - follow the K.I.S.S philosophy...depending on the wt of your line about 3-4 ft of butt and 2-3 ft of tippet - lots of guys will even use a straight leader. With a Sinking line I barely use anything longer than 3 ft.

Most important thing is to get out there.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#4 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

Yep. I'll be after some stripers. I plan on sitting down tomarrow after school and looking at an atlas to find some of those places. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Mr. Jingles

P.S. Sean- If you plan to be fishing around 6 or 7 I might be able to take a drive, it's nice out anyways so I wouldn't mind a little driving. I'll let you know around 3 tomarrow.

#5 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

Me and pops will be fishing the north river area today. We'll be leaving around 4, to get there around 5 and be in position for an outgoing tide. Wish me Luck!

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

#6 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Success! I caught my first two stripers EVER! I was basically just flogging the water with a chartreuse clouser, and happened on two schoolies...Only thing is people were chucking bait the size of my fish, but beggars can't be choosers. Oh yeah, I was the only one who caught anything while I was there. Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

#7 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

North River is a pretty sweet spot...

I did alright at Bass River caught my first two keeper sized fish and a bunch of rats...tough fishing though since absolutely everybody had the same idea, and the second you hook anything you become way too popular.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974