Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Organizing your fly boxes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Flies & Photos

Flies & Photos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

How do you choose to organize your fly boxes? By color, weighted or not, types of flies? Or if they're are for shallow or deep water? Do you organize them by species of fish it's for? How do you do it? rockon.gif

Tie for others as you would tie for yourself.

#2 Houdini

Houdini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:48 PM

Aside from having separate setups for salt vs. fresh, I generally use C&F Design boxes with the snap out panels. I usually organize by what's hatching by season but have a terrestrial box and a separate nymph box. These are C&F too. That way, I can carry one of those fly file boxes they also make and switch out what I want to carry into two or three boxes but I have a lot of different things to select from. The fly file fits in my bag and holds about six inserts.
I just tried one of their salt water boxes but I dont know if its going to work yet. Well see. Currently, I have thing divided into Tarpon, crabs and streamer type (Clousers, gurglers, etc.) fly boxes.
So far, I like this system the only problem is the cost and I wish Id started out this way. I have no shortage of other type boxes if I ever decide to go back.

#3 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:55 PM

The majority of the time I am fishing for trout, so here's my .02 cents.

Caddis flies are very predominant in this area(southeast PA), and I enjoy fishing them, so I have three mid size boxes for each stage of their lifecycle. One box is for pupas, one for emergers, and another for adults, spinners and cripples.

Within those boxes, they are foam by the the way, I have the flies organized by size. For example, the top 2 rows would be for size 18, the next 2 rows would be for size 16, and so on and so forth. I keep the different patterns and colors grouped/organized within the size "slot/rows."

Why organize by size? (my .02 cents.) As far as trout are concerned, I feel that matching the size of the natural fly is the first thing on my list. Next would be shape, then color. Although motion can sometimes overcome color.

By organizing by size, I also find it easier to figure out what each box is lacking, or needs replenished as far as size, color, and patterns.

This is the only species of bug that I have boxes dedicated to. I plan working on another set for BWO's as well since the trout are keen to them.

The other trout fly boxes I have are organized the same way. One box for nymphs, one for emergers, and one for adults, spinners, and cripples. I also have another box for streamers.

It may sound like a lot of boxes but I don't carry them all every time I go out.

In the early part of the season I rarely fish dry flies or the emerger patterns that aren't in the caddis box, since they aren't going to be hatching for another month.

Once the season is in full swing and there are more hatches, the streamer box gets put away because I've tossed enough them during the early part of the season and I get in a mood to fish other flies.

Don't get me wrong, I keep few streamers with me. I just pick a few from the main box in put them in one of the other boxes I am carrying or put them on a fly patch.

Same thing goes with the early season. I pick few dry flies and emergers from the main boxes and bring them along, but I don't bring the whole emerger box or dry fly box.

This way I have space in my bag for a bottle of water and a few other things, but yet I am not weighted down like a pack mule.

Hope this helps,
Chip
Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

#4 mb82

mb82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

I really don't orginize beyond salt/fresh/freshsalt stuff. I guess I go small to large to some extent.
Jeff
Richmond Va

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls."
-- M. Cartmill

#5 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

ya supposed to organize! unsure.gif

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#6 Fla. Panfisher

Fla. Panfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:38 AM

I would say big bass bugs, then poppers, then salt.

#7 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:43 AM

I organize my fly boxes by species, fresh water bass, chain pickerel, and panfish. Trout, I have a streamer box, a dry box, and a nymph box. I also have a shad box, a salt water box and a terrestrial box. I also have a salmon box. I have a few of each, I also have a box of my first flies and my closet box where some day I will strip those eyesores. It depends where I am going fishing and what time of year it is, that will depend on what I cary in my vest or on the boat.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#8 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Flies & Photos @ Jul 2 2005, 03:10 PM)
How do you choose to organize your fly boxes? By color, weighted or not, types of flies? Or if they're are for shallow or deep water? Do you organize them by species of fish it's for? How do you do it? rockon.gif

There are a few "levels" of organization in my system. First I separate my fly boxes for size. There is a box for dry flies and emergers, a box for nymphs, a box for larger nymphs, a box for traditional streamers and bucktails, a box for alternative patterns such as fly rod spinner baits, a box for poppers, a box for hair bugs, a box for BIG streamers and a box for BIG topwaters. Mostly I fish smallmouth, panfish and largemouth but there is some trout fishing in there too.

All the boxes are designed for fishing, so there is no need to separate by species. What I mean by that is that a box of small nymphs to imitate caddis pupae, small mayfly nymphs, scud and sowbugs, etc... is just as applicable to bluegill as to brown trout. The same goes for traditional streamers or dry flies. Species is irrelevant, its the food I'm going to imitate that the box keys in on.

I subscribe to the idea of imitating what is available and abundant during any given period. Based on this, I'll grab for the big nymph box in May because size 2 pheasant tail nymphs are accurate imiations of lot's of bugs regardless of whether I'm fishing a spring creek or a freestone smallmouth bass flow. In August I'm grabbing the small nymph box because there probably aren't a lot of size 12 mayfly nymphs about during that period.

Inside the boxes I organize by color and size. Dark small to dark big to light small to light big from left to right

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.