Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Kodiak Coho report

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

I went fishing yesterday at a beach about a 3 minute drive from my house with coho on the brain. I got their and immediately saw a lure fisherman from shore land a nice 10 pound female. Rather than joining the crowds on the beach that is really just a tall pile of rocks at high tide i launched in my pontoon boat. This way i don't have to deal with the crowds and the rocks on my backcast even if i do get some funny looks from people who don't see too many pontoon boaters in the ocean. Anyway over the next hour i didn't have a hit until i say a silver jum 40 feet to my left. I made a perfect cast with my clauser about 10 feet in front of the fish based on his jump. As the fly sunk i saw my line twitch and i set the hook. A smaller sized silver left the water and spit the hook. 3 casts later i hooke a much nicer fish, probably 14 or 15 pounds but it too got off this time right as i was trying to net it. I never had another hit but wasn't too upset because the coho run here doen't really start till early september. I will be gone the first week for big bows but will be back with plently of silvers in my future.

I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

You are like me.Sometimes you practice the best form of catch and release. Like you said it doesnt seem to bother you because if you caught and landed every fish there would not be a challenge any more. I think that loosing nice fish is what keeps us comming back.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

I agree Joe, especially when you don't do anything wrong. I made sure i sharpened my hook, i made a good hook set and fought the fish perfectly. Sometimes you can do everything right but the fish will still get off.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright