Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Anyone tried Rio Nymph Line?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

It seems like a tweaked version of RIO's Clouser line. Geared for throwing weighted and air-resistant flies short and long, with improved line mending, improved roll-casting, and an indicator tip. All this is over a standard weight-forward line. I haven't put it on and casted yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this line.

I mainly fish for Smallmouth and Trout, but when I trout fish, I'll throw streamers (and jerkbaits if they like those better) most of the time. Occasionally I'll throw a nymph with a midge as a dropper at one of the gravel flats, or if there is a Caddis or Mayfly hatch, I'll do a little dry fly fishing, but mostly big (for a 6 weight) streamers and nymphs. And some poppers, gurglers, and sneaky petes.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#2 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:42 PM

after talking with one of the guys from rio at a fly show, i can only tell you what he told me.

it is meant to be a higher floating line than the typical line with a sinking type tip.
you can dry fly fish with it, but you have to add a much longer leader and you might lose some turnover in the cast.

i was really close to purchasing it till he told me that. i dont dry fly much, but i dont want to have to carry 3 or 4 different spools with me either. if they could come up with one that did all of the above i would get it in a hurry. i just stick with my basic orvis wonderline and adjust from there. use it for everything from dries to streamers. if i have to get deep i switch over to my streamer rod with a full sinking line on it

#3 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:14 PM

According to RIO's website, the tip is super-high floating? huh.gif

It might not be the best line for delicate dry fly presentations, but about 98% of my fishing (including trout fishing) will be streamers and nymph type things.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#4 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

i could have sworn the guy said it was a sinking tip. that is part of the reason they market it for nymphs. dunno.gif but that was this past spring when i talked to him, so i more than likely am confused on it. sorry if i misinformed you

#5 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

That's ok. The guy at the shop I buy most of my fly gear at said that it's a floating line, and the box says floating on it, too. I know it has an indicator tip on it, which may be the primary reason it's labeled as a Nymph line.

The taper looks a lot like the RIO Clouser line to me, so I assumed it would be great for chucking the bigger, weighted smallmouth stuff I throw. And the streamers I use for trout.

-Muhammad Ali

#6 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:36 PM

I've been using the Rio Nymph for a while now. It is a great nymphing line... floats well, roll casts nicely but more importantly, doesn't punk-out when throwing bulky fliesand indicators or heavy weights.
A dry fly line it is not! The taper configuration at the business end makes the tip of the line flop all over the place. It also has quite the splash down.
I would think there are better streamers lines lines simply because of the orange tip. It can be cut off but I believe the reason this line floats so well is because of the welded loop at the end. This seals the line and prevents the core from absorbing water and makes for twice the floatation. That would be compromised by cutting the tip.

#7 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Peddler @ Nov 5 2005, 10:36 PM) View Post

I've been using the Rio Nymph for a while now. It is a great nymphing line... floats well, roll casts nicely but more importantly, doesn't punk-out when throwing bulky fliesand indicators or heavy weights.
A dry fly line it is not!

That's mainly what I was after since it will primarily be a line for stream Smallmouth. I've never had trouble coaxing trout on a baitfish patterns during a hatch where I live. I seem to have the same luck as everyone else fishing dries. I'll end up getting a 5 weight line for my 6 weight (it's a medium action so I should be OK) eventually, but not anytime soon. I barely fish dries anyways. If I do, it MIGHT be a couple times a year, unless I go out west or something.

-Muhammad Ali