Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What is a shooting line and what are its applications?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

I know what floating, sink-tips, and sinking lines are for, but what exactly is a shooting line and what's it for?
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#2 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:12 PM

Well, I just recently started using a shooting line for something other than chuck and duck. I have been using a Cortland shooting line with a Cortland mini head kit for pike and bass fishing here in Michigan.
With a 4 foot section of a 9" per second sink rate mini head kit I can shoot a big pike fly a country mile even in wind.
I started out shooting the entire mini head, which is like 9 foot. But after talking with Ridderbos I cut that down to a 4 foot section, a 3 foot and a 2 foot section. I also have another kit I'm doing in two 3 foot and a 2 and a 1 foot section.
I like it. I use a 9' leader looped to the sink tip mini kit and a mason single strand leader.
I'm throwing some flies for pike and bass that are bait fish patterns in 3/0 - 4/0 sizes.
It takes a little practice to get real accurate but, I have noticed that I have had no trouble laying a fly out regardless of wind or calmness.
I hope this helps.

#3 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:12 AM

How much line do you carry in the air when you cast a shooting set up? Do you load it with 10' out of the tip and shoot?

#4 Fishigan

Fishigan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

Since I am pretty new to this technique and after reading this I went outside and did some lawn shooting. I have done as little as a foot of shooting line out to a full load on the back cast. It depends on how much room I have behind me.
I am still doing some experimenting and such but have found this a usefull tool when lake fishing for bass and pike with big flies.
The wind is really picking up outside. 15-20 mile an hour gusts with 5-10 sustained. I'll go out and give it a go and take some measurements.
I'll be out on the lake in a few hours so it will be nice to know too.
I'll compare the same head lengths too.

#5 Fishigan

Fishigan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

I went and tried some stuff. I was able to put the fly out 50' with a head wind and a full 9' head. With a 4 1/2' head I got 25'. With a 6 1/2' head I got 35'. That's with at least 6' of shooting line out on the back cast. When I loaded the rod up with I guess 12'+ of shooting line and a 9' head I put the fly out 70' into the wind but it wouldn't lay out. With a cross wind and a tail wind I was able to get 120'+ with a full load and the fly was able to lay out.
I am not the best caster either. I do like using the heads for the bait fish patterns I throw for pike and bass. It'll be nice next summer when they are hanging on the 8-15' drops.

#6 Fishigan

Fishigan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

I am sure there is someone here that knows way more about this than I do though. I just started working with the whole mess a month or two ago. Like everything, it has it's use. I'll do some searching because I'd like to learn more myself.

#7 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like this would be a good line for muskie fishing. A guide told me that the vast majority of the time, they hit either right after it passes 'em or right at the boat. Hardcore Muskie guys do the figure-8 right at the boat. It would be a royal pain in the arse to cast out all that line, bring it all in to the boat, and re-cast. That shooting line stuff sounds like it would make it a LOT less painful. Just do the figure-8 with about 8-10' of line out, pick it up, and chuck it back out.

If I get crazy enough, I might try this with my 8 weight for bass and Hybrids. Maybe tie up some thickly-tied clouser type thing with a rattle and try to catch some Musky this spring! I know Rattletraps are a VERY popular lure to use on Cave Run in the Spring. Gold Shiner and Firetiger.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#8 sage8wt

sage8wt

Day5 makes me weak in the waders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:34 PM

I use Climax shooting line for steelhead and salmon fishing. It is a level line in which I attach a butt section of 15# maxima using an albright knot. The butt section will usually be roughly 9', attach a 3' section of 8# using a surgeons knot then my fly. I use this to swing nymphs, streamers and eggs through runs and holes. Very effective for me. my .02
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.
-Norman Maclean