Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Help me decide which Sink-tip to buy first!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

I talked to cornmuse about sink-tips and such. Here's what he recommended for me since I have a 6 and an 8 weight. I can buy one now and save the other for Christmas.

I have a 6 Weight (he recomended a 10' class 5 sink tip- I'm thinking SA Wet Tip) for stream Smallmouth (won't be doing that until April or so), trout (nymphs and stuff at the trout river I fish, and small 6-weight size streamers at the same trout river since it's deeper than a stream.

I also have an 8 Weight (he recomended a 200 grain Teeny) for Ohio River Wipers/White Bass/Sauger/Catfish/Whatever else hits behind the McAlpine Dam, Largemouth, and bigger 4" streamers on the trout river I fish, and generally whenever they're generating. I'm not sure that the sink-tip might be a useless gesture when the current's roaring out the dam on the Ohio, but I'll play around with that.

Let's look at the options and the pluses/minuses:

6 weight

Pluses:

I can fish nymphs and fish 'em more effectively in the deeper river water for trout (4'-6' in a lot of places).

Same with Stream Smallmouth, though the water is more like 2'-4'.

Minuses:

Stream Smallmouth is over until about April.

Trout is about the only thing I'll use it for until April

During non-generating times at the trout river with streamers, a floating line should do the trick fine since you can effectively fish to about 3 feet

8 weight

Pluses:

I can use it at my trout river for streamers when they're generating more effectively than with a floating line

Unless it's royal PITA in roaring current, I can use it for Wipers, etc... behind the McAlpine dam on the Ohio until they leave for the Winter

I can probably use it at Dale Hollow when I visit this winter

Minuses:

Might be a royal PITA behind the McAlpine Dam and not much more effective than a floating line since the drift time is so short

I'm not sure if I can fish a fast sinking line very effectively at Dale Hollow during the Winter

Are the recommended lines about right? I'm thinking the 8 weight line. Should I get the 8 weight line first?
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali