Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flies for Surf perch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

What flies do you use for surf perch? ?Thanks.

#2 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:51 PM

Back in Southern California in the 80's I used to tie sand crab flies for perch and corbina. Basically a big fat size 6 scud with an orange butt.
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...

#3 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the tip.

#4 Irish

Irish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:05 AM

BC,

Search for Ken handley in the bay area of Ca or John Shewwey (sp) in Oregon both have flies and a book i think on Surf perching. I knew and heard Ken speak in the 90's in Northern Ca and have done the perching myself.

Use an 8 wt and be prepared for big time pulls for those fish that really know how to use wave action to their advantage.

Irish
[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't" John Likakis