Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting the skunk off the new rod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Well, since it looked like my in-laws will be arriving Saturday night as opposed to Sunday morning, my fishing plans had a last minute change. I took the opportunity to grab my new two-handed salt rod, the Atlantis, and head down to a well known sandbar on the coast to try to actually intercept a few fish.

Harbor blues were breaking here and there with intensity, but on the ocean side the wind was a steady 20 mph in my face. The rod performed well enough for the short time that I've been using it, but my maximum distance was in the neighborhood of 80 feet (a far cry from the 120 feet I reached the other night). I'm sure some of this was due to me trying to overpower the rod again, feeling in the back of my mind that it was necessary to do so into such a headwind.

As luck would have it, the majority of fish swung back around behind the bar as the tide flooded, and the last hour of daylight provided some good action. The wind subsided, and what was left of it was now squarely on my back. I settled down and was easily hitting the 120 foot mark again, which was necessary when some of the blues were that far away. A silver banger was all that I needed to call the fish to dinner. For such a big rod, I was pleasantly surprised at how much those 3 to 5 pound bluefish could still show off their stuff during the fight. But I also felt that I could really put the screws to a bigger fish if I needed to. I left about a half hour after dark.

Peanut bunker are pretty much everywhere on the CT coast right now. Some of the schools were so thick that they looked like a dark carpet across sections of the bottom. I'm hoping that this is a sign of good things to come this fall.

If anyone would like more info regarding this relatively new rod system, don't hesitate to ask.
Mark

#2 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:31 PM

Ming, I think there's gonna be some larger interest in this very soon. Good to hear you finally got it out in the real world! Question: will the atlantis cure the problem of 'no fishing time equals no casting stroke anymore'?

#3 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Not if you're talking about lawn casting. wink.gif
Mark