Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Finally got to FISH!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lunk

Lunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:05 PM

We spent the last week in Avalon NJ with my whole extended family, so I made the most of the time. After a terrible year of freshwater fishing, or rather non-fishing due to high, fast muddy water, it was a pleasure to only have to fight wind. I started each day with a pre-dawn trip to Corson's Inlet State Park. I didn't have much luck with fish there, but I saw two grey foxes and what I am certain was a coyote there. The blues were pretty active, but I didn't do well with them, so I changed my focus to Townsend's Inlet. On my third cast to the water at the end of a short jetty I connected with an 18"-19" striper; my first ever on the long rod. That spot also yielded a flounder about 15" long. On the north side of the inlet I hit into some fast bluefish action, though nothing too big. I didn't care. All but one of the fish I caught took a baitfish pattern I put together while I was down there. Essentially, it is a white bucktail streamer tied sparse, slightly weighted, with an orange floss body inside. Down each side were just about 3-4 chartreuse bucktail hairs mixed with silver crystal flash. With no epoxy in my kit, I laid on several layer of head cement and painted the eyes on with red metallic 'hooker' nail polish. They held up better than I had a right to expect.

All in all, it was a good week, although my mother just couldn't grasp the concept of a fishing trip being considered a good one if no fish came home. "Don't you get discouraged?" she asked, so I told her about the coyote. It didn't help. Ah, well. Today we arrived home to find my home waters just returning to their own channels again, and it looks like I won't be out again too soon.
Happy Victim of the Benign Addiction!