Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Advice on Tarpon Techniques?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

Hey guys,

Imagine this scenario, or just look at the very small pic which I've attached (this is the only one I could find, and was hard enough to get on it's own).

Small channel, about 40 feet wide and fairly shallow with one treed bank and another mangrove type bank. Calm water with next to no current. There are smaller tarpon which surface discretly from time to time. Supposedly these fish are used to seeing flies and may spook easily dunno.gif

Any advice on approaches, flies, techniques? This is all fairly new to me. My take on it was to approach from one of the banks (whichever is easiest to get to), stay as low as possible, and stick to smaller dark flies (1/0 range) and hope for the best. Any and all input would be geratfly appreciated.

Cheers!

Nick

Attached Files

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#2 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:06 PM

Nick,

i can't help you mcuh. no baby tarpon in this part of Louisiana, but I think your ideas are sound.... i might go down to a 2 in fly size, try to match the bait size in the canal.

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#3 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

No problem Mark. I'll try what I know and see what happens. ph34r.gif

#4 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:14 AM

Nick,

Send TroutBum a message he is about the only Tarpon guy on the board that I know of and he should be able to help you out.

test

#5 StandsOnLine

StandsOnLine

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:20 PM

Smallish tarpon in canals/ channels will take the traditional tarpon flies, they will also take clousers & glass minnow patterns. The time of day you try them can be critical to success - early & late are best, this is usually due to the fact that they don't like boat traffic. A crab pattern might be something they don't see often ?
The good news is these fish will eat some time, the bad news is that "resident" tarpon that are fished often are indeed very wary, making the first few presentations most likely to connect, beyond that, those fish will have "seen your act" as it were ...... good luck !

BTW - it is not considered to be in bad form to freeline a live shrimp to 'em.

#6 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

StandsOnLine,

Thats great info - much appreciated! I don't think there is any boat traffic in this canal. It looks much more blue in the pic than it really is. The photo must have been taken during a more pronounced tidal season. It's pretty stagnant and murky now.

#7 Henry

Henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:48 AM

Hey Nick,

Off to Cuba are you? Sure looks like the Melia Cayo Coco/Guillermo. I've read a few reports from folks that have fished there. Apparently the resort has some small "Pelican" boats with electric motors. Supposedly they're available for the use of guests from the water activities hut. A nearby backwater (connected to the channel) is supposed to be full of bones from time to time.

As far as getting at the fish...if you can't get the use of a boat...just straddle an air matress and paddle close enough to em. Throw and pray. Try a Bunny leach in black, purple or white...the lively action of this fly might just make the difference.

Regards,

Henry

#8 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

Hi Henry,

You called it! I am leaving for Cayo Guillermo in 2 days!!! 2 days! We are staying down the beach a bit from the Sol, closer to the "Jungle Tour" base. I don't think our resort offers the little boats so I will be walking whatever flats I can find near by. There is also a causeway between Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo which is home to some nice fish and should be no more than a 5-10 minute walk away. The last two weeks have been spent frantically tying crazy charlies, gotchas, merkins, barracuda flies, needlefish and bunny type flies for tarpon.

It's been somewhat tough to get solid fly fishing info on Guillermo however I was able to get in touch with a recent Melia visitor from the UK named Mark Fowler who gave me all kinds of useful info. I believe he was down there less than 2 months ago and was able to get into bones, cudas, snapper and palometas just by walking the flats by the beach. No guides. I can't thank him enough.

I've visited Cayo Coco before so I am somewhat familiar with the area as one of our days was spent touring the neighbouring cays. However this will be my first time doing any sort of saltwater fly fishing and the level of anticipation and excitement is at an all time high.

I see that you're from Ontario. Where abouts? I live on the Bay of Quinte but spend a lot of time wetting line between Algonquin Park and Eastern Lake O tribs.

I love the avatar by the way! headbang.gif

P.S. If you're ever looking for another party to join your Bahamas trips, let me know wink.gif

#9 Henry

Henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:34 AM

Hi again Nick,

I'm from Oshawa. The big kings are in our harbour real thick now with the odd fish sneaking upstream at night. I hardly ever fish for them now though since winning the 7th week in the Toronto Star Salmon Derby in 1992 (39.66lbs). My true interest now is fishing saltwater down south. I've got two weeks coming up at the end of November till December 12 on the Mayan Riviera...that'll be cool to fish the Boca Paila flats not to mention the great Snook, Jack and bonefishing right on our resort beach. My buddy and I are just about to pull the trigger on our spring Bahama's trip to Eleuthera. Looks like we'll be down there from March 30 to April 25th...Damn!...that's almost 4 weeks. There's still openings at the Duck Inn in Govenor's Harbour during that time frame if your interested in it. There's a big "BUT" though. Our Kayak only holds two guys so the best we could do is steer you to flats you can reach on foot.

Eleuthera is a great place for DIY bonefishers and there's loads of opportunities to catch alternative species too which go relatively untouched. We like to do a big fish fry every other night or so of Snappers, Jacks or Pallometta's.

I really want to hear the details about your fishing when you get back...hopefully Tropical Storm "Frances" (soon to be Hurricane) doesn't affect your holiday as I also hope it stays away from the Yucatan and Bahama's. Hurricane Floyd knocked the shit out of Eleuthera as a category 5 in 1999 and they're still not over it.

I think I'll enter a few Eleuthera pics in the photo contest.

Have fun and catch lot of bones in Cuba,

Talk when you get back,

Henry

#10 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Hey Henry,

Man I sure hope Frances doesn't head my way! unsure.gif Looks like there is a 50-50 chance. http://wwwa.accuweat...lines.asp?iws=3

I knew nothing of this until I read your post. sad.gif Thanks for the heads up. Not much that I can do really but go, and hope for the best. If the weather doesn't cooperate at least the drinks are free. LOL

I will be sure to let you know how we made out.

#11 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

Pujic, If you want a cold drink, use a cooler... keep the ice cubes outside the glass... wink.gif Henry, I'm in Oshawa too.. you do much fishin in the creek?
Work to live, live to fish.

#12 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:58 AM

Vices, you're not kidding! No need to catch some crazy Hep A-Z thing or something like that!

#13 Henry

Henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:39 AM

Hey Vices,

I used to fish the extreme bottom end (Simcoe St. flats) of Oshawa creek alot. Now I just pick and choose my moments. You see I drive by the bridge every day on the way to and from work. I swoop in...nail a bunch of fish...and disappear. You've likely seen me once or twice in my canoe (with outriggers) fishing the creekmouth in the harbour...now that's fishing.

See ya around,

Henry

#14 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:41 AM

Nice Henry, I grew up near wentworth st... spent about half my time fishing on that creek... I live in the north end now.. i gotta say theres enough steelies that make it up here and its way less crowded.. i fish behind the colledge mostly now. I've got some sweet pics from last year here.. headbang.gif anyways cya around.. cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.