Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Sinking lines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FishHawk

FishHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:52 AM

Had my AirFlo line chewed up by a trolling motor and wonder if there is any thing out there that I should try. Have good things about RIO. My AirFlo is 400 grains.
Thanks FishHawk biggrin.gif

#2 striblue

striblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

Bill...I PM'd you and I would have all the confidence in the world in the Rio Deep Sea...

#3 FishHawk

FishHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:24 AM

Thanks John will give them a try. FishHawk

#4 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:41 PM

Bill, I use Cortland 444 sinkers and they work nicely for me.

#5 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Are you after a full sink line or a head? I've used LC-13 and have recently switched to T-14, preferring the limpness of the latter. FWIW...
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#6 troutbum19

troutbum19

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:26 PM

the teeny lines are the only ones i use. they work real well. teeny develops these lines himself

#7 bassturd

bassturd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

Airflo is the way for me. I had an issue with the first 400 grain sinker from Airflo and I went to the shop where I bought it to ask a few questions. THe owner called Rajef spoets and I ended up talking to steve Rajef himself. ENded up they sent me a whole new line for free. THey have also sent me out new tips for my multitip line that were stolen by fish(broke at the factory welded loops) any company that can stand behind their products like this will always get my repeat business
Stupid risks are what makes life worth living. Homer Simpson

#8 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:47 AM

If you haven't tried shooting heads now may be the time.

For Saltwater its all I use, t-14 90% of the time, an INT head 9% of the time and a floater when I want to use a popper or waste time.

They sink faster and cast further.

I use level line for the running line - could cast further with mono or braided but just too uncomfortable to handle with cold fingertips.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#9 crazyflyfisher

crazyflyfisher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:23 PM

i perfer using Rio's power flex shooting line due to the fact that its a great shooting line, its clear, and never had problems with it and i can cast just about any head out there, although if yea are a saltwater fisherman i would recomend u using Rios power flex core tarpon line...