Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Blue Fin Tuna---From Shore???????

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 striblue

striblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:48 PM

Here is a great report from Fred Abramson, a good friend ... who fishes were I do in Chatham, and this is one "unusual" report. I wish I was ther to see this.

"Went to Chatham Light this morning, things were pretty dead. Started down by the rocks then made my way to the point. Decided to go back down by the rocks. As I approached there seems to be something big circling on bait, in close. I make a couple of casts but can't figure the behavoir, mayby it's just current circling around rocks. Make another cast and wham, line is cleared and going out. Fish is staying parallel to the rocks and I figure there's no way. Then as expected I get broken off. I'm swearing at myself for not changing out my leader (was going to but I figured if I got into anything it'd be schoolies). Anyhow, a minute later the big swirl is back and the fish is just going in circles. A couple of us continued to make casts but the fish ain't eating. We decided whatever it is it has a problem. We got into the water for a close look and confirmed our suspicions, about a 4 to 5 foot bluefin. This fish seemed healthy but I don't thinks he's going to make it. As I left he continued to circle and was making its way down the beach toward the point. I'm sure, with the water getting skinny, this guy doesn't stand a chance. I'm also sure he didn't eat my fly, but was snagged. Very cool, but very sad."