Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

10/29 South County Report

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jared

jared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:07 PM

Launched @ Barn Island Friday morning....quickly got the "poor man's triple"....small bass, small blues & big shad.

(Can someone tell me why people insist on referring to catching 3 fish species as a "slam"??? Last I checked a slam was a 4-bagger, not a 3!!!)

Moved off Napatree and found larger bass...multiple double hookups, largest bass was 30". Gotta love fall fish...even the smaller ones are strong! Not sure if it's the colder water, the fact that they're making the run down south or what -- but I'm not complaining.

Headed over to Watch Hill -- loads of birds (and too many boats -- some polite and aware, some clueless and rude). Only finicky blues there -- at least, that's all we boated.

Moved again, near some buds -- they landed 3 bonito on spinning -- I had 2 casts that were definitely among fish, but no hits. With the 56 degree temps, these fish were MOVING fast.

Hoping to get out at least once more before winterizing the boat -- then it's back to walking the beaches and/or some late season trouting.

Tight Lines.

-jared

#2 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:03 PM

Still, it sounds like a good day fishing is better than almost anything else! Happy to hear of your good day!

#3 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:13 AM

Just finished winterizing my fathers boat with him.. kinda gives you a hopeless feeling... If you got any choice at all to get out one more time, make it happen... thanks for the report.. cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.

#4 vima

vima

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hello to all,

waiting for the next salmon season (on Dee - Cairnton) sometimes I'm going to SWFF. Last time I have caught two bonitos using an anchovy fly. Which fly do you use for bonitos or others?

tks and regards from Italy
vima