Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

sad day

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bassturd

bassturd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:53 PM

Well today was the end of a mediocre fishing season for me.
My father and I went out early this morning in the boat (that was having problems the last three trips out). We headed around holgate and the ocean was flat calm at first light. Headed up along the beach and found a small pod of birds with fish on top. I took several casts w/a bunker immitaton. after about three casts the ASSHOLE PATROL came along. Several other boats saw the birds and fish and came in jockeying for position and put the fish down. On to another spot without a crowd we found another school of small fishthat only stayed on top for a few quick splashes but they stayed deep around us for about half an hour. big flys werent working so my dad put down the fly rod and pcked up a jig pole and started picking up fish on a dimond jig. I reluctently did the same , and was rewarded with 15-20 fish all small 18-22.75 inches. nothing in the slot for dinner.
before we realized it several other boats slid in again, a few of them started trolling and again spooked our little school to stop bighting. we moved again caught a few more but couldnt find any more fish that didnt have at least one boat harassing them. It was still fun but the top water action was just not happening as the south wind hampered the back casts.
So to make a short story long,,,,,,,,,,,
as we started to move to another spot towards harvey cedars lump, the motor starts to loose power, at full throttle it was only moving lik e it was in idle. MUst have gotten water in the fuel tank , ended up draining the fuel filter and got it to run good enough to limp in.
We decided that enough was enough with motor troubles and we got the boat pulled for the year crying.gif
Now I am limited to the beach for the remainder of the striper migration. and that just sucks. the wind has been blowing west for a week now and the beach bite is almost nonexistant. all of the fish are 1/4 mile out and not coming in near the surf. hopefully we get a little north east wind to push the bait back in towards the beach for at least one more day dunno.gif
It was a great time catching the fish but I am pissed that my season was cut short because of a piece of crap motor
Stupid risks are what makes life worth living. Homer Simpson

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

At least you got a few, eh?

Having your season cut short does suck, there has to be a few bad years mixed in so you can appreciate the good years........I tell myself that all the time, it has yet to make me feel better though laugh.gif

test

#3 fishinwrench

fishinwrench

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:53 PM

What make, model, year is the motor. And decribe (if you will) the problems you've had with it, and service history.
"What is it with you people ?......buncha friggin' bodaggots".

#4 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:24 AM

I here you about shit.gif year at the Jersey Shore this year. I did not catch or even see anyone catch a striper over 23" this year, only litle rats. Everytime I went out saw a fleet of boats working them about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the beach. I don't have a boat so all my fishing is done from the beach. The best day this year for me was 4 blues in one day.

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#5 GHow

GHow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:04 AM

My first, and only time Albie fishing a few years back I witnessed the lame mentality of others. A squadron of boats doing the run and gun around and around the active rip. No consideration for sharing the area. It was very lame.
This major dink and a few others I got in the river on Fathers Day were it for me. I could not entice the larger fish I could see in the pool tail wash out with smallmouth flies. I should have brought some beefier flies with me.
Sadly I never got the opportunity to get out fishing in the sound. Today after Christmas shopping (again) Iíll make time to tie up a couple of patterns for FTOTY.
I had NO big fish at all this year but hereís always next season.

Howie / Lake Congamond - West Suffield

#6 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:21 AM

What is the size limit on Stripers in your area,(area's).Here it is 27 and 3/4 inches.
I am a commercial fisherman,(blood worm harvester).I harvest the worms off of the flats.
One spot where I harvest is only accessible by boat. WE hook up to a bouyie and wait for the tide to drop.You can actually see small stripers by the thowsands under the boat heading for deeper water.
There are larger fish as well,sometimes we see them breaching the water three to four feet in the air,its cool.
Is any one else seeing the same thing,an abundance of, 1 to 2 pound,size fish.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#7 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:46 AM

In NJ there is a new law: one 24 to 28 and one 34+. It used to be one 24 to 28 and one 28+ and if you had a bonus tag you can harvest one more 28+.

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#8 bassturd

bassturd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

I had a good day on the beach with 11 bass and one blue landeed but again all rats. They had a school of peanut bunker pinned in the corner of a jetty and were almost beaching themselves to get the bait. With a stron south wind you still only had to get the fly out 40 to 50 feet and let it drop out of the bottom of the bait on top and you would hook up. I have only seen bass jump when they were blitzing bait. It must be awesome to see that many fish Daryn. do you ever flip them a fly or are you usualy more concerned with with getting the job done. I know that I would have a hard time going to work on the water knowing that there were tons of fish to fool around with.

#9 bassturd

bassturd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

The motor is an 89 Yamaha 225 hp outboard. this past year it got new carborators put on it because it kept sputtering and losing power just like it did last week. First we changed fuel filters, and tried to just clean the carbs, but the mechanic that we have used (family friend) pointed out that some of the bolts used in the carborators and other working parts were not stainless and pieces of rust were chipping off and causing clogs in them. Usualy though when this happens the motor will cut out and kick off at least one of the spark plug wires. My father told me today that " that piece of shi# " wont ruin another day he is buying a new four stroke honda. I think htat he is nuts but.......... its his dime.