Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Todays fishing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:26 PM

Headed out arround 11:00,sat down on a log and tied on a "new Bucktail Deciver",that I tied for the contest.I liked the way it looked and the way it acted in the water.
I had planned to test a bunch of flies,but could not stop fishing.there were no strikes,on the "new pattern" it was good to fish once again.
Most fishing is closed here,but where I fish is a tidal river that can be fished anytime.It is a great place to test my new creations.
I fished for a good 2 hours then said its time to test the rest of my patterns.A Lobster,a Squid, a Foam Blue Damsel,A couple of Foam Panfish flies,A Brookie Muddler type Immitation,a Marribou Asassion Smelt pattern and a few nymps.
On the last nymph I threw I felt a small bump.I instantly thought bottom.I was mad cause I thought it was my best pattern of the bunch,donated to the river.
Then a couple of more intense pumps then I raised the rod and there was a fish on .The rod bent and the line started up river. My heart started beating, and a smile came over my face.I thought I should make sure and drive the hook home.
ther was nothing,but my line comming back at me.
I cast and cast again with no success.I tried a few more spots nothing.
Even though I lost the battle it felt good to be on the River
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#2 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:37 AM

it would be nice to getout.........I can't remember the last clear day we had where the rivers were low enough to fish around here........Any idea what you had on Daryn?

#3 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:39 PM

Least you got out and enjoyed the water.....is spring here yet? unsure.gif

test

#4 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (MIKE*A @ Dec 11 2004, 09:36 AM)
it would be nice to getout.........I can't remember the last clear day we had where the rivers were low enough to fish around here........Any idea what you had on Daryn?

Id say a 14 to 16 inch Brown,but who knows there are alot of different species in the river.Last spring I caught and released a few that size in that same area.

I went out today about 2:00 and fished to just before dark.Tried a couple of bugger type flies,one a rubberlegger and the other a hellgrammite.Then I tried a large stonefly and "nymphed" my back up to where I started.I was smilling when I put on my last fly It was a fair size frog.It looked great.
There were a bunch of spinners starting to appear.But I decided to head for home.FISHLESS again,but I was fishing and liking it.

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#5 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hey Daryn,

I gotta say, you make it sound exciting and fun fishing even when your not catching, great stuff. I bet your a blast to go fishin with. Keep the reports coming, please.

#6 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:52 AM

Went out yesterday, as I was approaching the river it looked like chocolate milk,I was thinking about the question"how do you approach the water you are goin to fish".I chuckled to myself thinking about, "running from the truck,and jumping in the water...."I lit a smoke,crossed the bridge and headed through the woods to where I start fishing.
There were a few Midges popping out of nowhere,and a small mayfly flew right into my eye.Thats what you call getting a real god look.
I paused looked arround and could see three large Eagles scouring the meadow for food.Crows in pursuit,the eagles didnt seem to care.
I tied on a large flashy babby blue and white feathertail bucktail.the feathers were tied splayed.The fly looked good in the water and had lots of action.
The river, being right murkey,was full of floating grass.the meadow was somewhat flooded,and small feeder type ditches were flowing into it.It had to be close to pluss 8 degres cel.Just the way I like it.
It is tedious to fish this way,with all the floating debris, but it makes for more precise casting,let alone trying to track your fly,in the "chocolate milk".I didnt care,man, I was fishing.I know the river well and cast the deciver to all the "good" spots,watching the fly dissapear in only a second or two.I decided to fish all the way down to where I had built a lean/to a few years back.
I caught; clumps after clumps of grass,and twigs.its what we call; "clean up the river project",and is all part of fishing.Through all the midst of this, there were some real good casts and the anticipation of a hook up.I fished for a few hours and finaly reached my caved in lean/to.I never stopped and checked my leader the whole time I was fishing with all the crud I picked off the fly I figured knots galore.I was susprised when there was none.I false cast the fly a dozen times,with a short line to dry the fly,brought it to hand and removed it from the leader.I hooked it over a small twig and whatced it fluttering in the breeze.I lit a smoke,looked around and knew I had a long haul out,it was getting dark but I didnt care.I walked the outer edge of the meadow along the woods as I always do.There is a huge ground hog that makes his home under a log, and I walk by there every time I exit the meadow.There was fresh activity and I smiled, he's stiil there.Thinking about visiting him ground hog day,I heard a scream from one of the Eagles overhead.I turned and looked, and could see all three of them floating on the breeze.I said to them see you tommorow.
I am headed there now.......... headbang.gif

#7 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

One advantage of living a little farther South is that when the Smallies slow down, we have some fish with spots and a Red stripe on their side that are fun to catch.
Taney County, Missouri

#8 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

Headed back to the river today,the river was still the tide was in.I had to walk up a steep banking as the trail was now under water.As I decended back down the hill I grabed a branch to steady myself and to clear the water that was flooding.I took one step and almost stepped on a younge Pheasant.It startled me just as much as him.I started thinking about what my buddy asked me last night, "do you think its the wrong time of year or what.I said naw.Realy what I am doing is testing new flies.I will post the patterns tommorow,and fill you in how the rest of the fishing trip went.

wayne SW/MO we have them here too,There is a fair size pond that is open all year, and two Lakes that open next month for ice fishing.
The ones in the river are escapes from the fish hatchery, and a stocked pond(floods) they are huge but just as hard to catch as the browns.The ones I catch always seem to be fater than the browns.Must be a higher tolerence to tempatures.

#9 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

Hey Daryn,

Does it stay warmer in your area in the winter compared to further inland? I'm also wondering what month of the year you get biting black flies? Sounds like you're having a good time. I'm stuck where I need a good drive to get into trout. I have seen some huge carp in the L.A. river, been tempted but dont want to wet wade and I worry the poluted water would ruin my waders. I like reading your adventures sounds like fun.

#10 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Graham @ Dec 13 2004, 10:32 PM)
Hey Daryn,

Does it stay warmer in your area in the winter compared to further inland? I'm also wondering what month of the year you get biting black flies? Sounds like you're having a good time. I'm stuck where I need a good drive to get into trout. I have seen some huge carp in the L.A. river, been tempted but dont want to wet wade and I worry the poluted water would ruin my waders. I like reading your adventures sounds like fun.

Where I live is called the valley,and durring the summer it is warmer here then most of the rest of the province.Colder in the winter
The Valley is surronded by The North and South Moutians,it can be unberablely warm here and if you go to the North Moutian as soon as you get there you will feel the tempature drop.
The tide pushes up the Valley floor bringing wind and weather,you could be here, and 1 to 2 hours before the tide and it will be windy and cold,while on the South Moutian you will be in a "T" shirt in the sun.
Black Flies usually apear full swing late June,and some parts of the province untill late November.This place is called Bug Alley,my brother had a peice of land there and told me that I could have it , I declined and it has since been sold.The last time I was there we ran to the truck to escape the bitting bugs (all kinds).Some of the bitting bugs come out of the flats when we are digging and can put an end to a tide without bug dope.

#11 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

And now for the rest of the story,I would realy like to include photos with the flies that I have been chucking.
Anyway I started by lighting a smoke and tying on a streamer for the Salt that I had Crafted from a synthetetic duster.I noticed it "looked" Square on the end and pulled out a pair of siccours.I clipped away watiching everyting.The tide had started to push the river in the other direction.I do not like fishing this way because the tide is strong and hard to make a fly work properly.It is not like a flowing river.
I noticed it started raining.I looked at my streamer an saw that I had clipped it too short and thought this thing is going to wrap arround the hook.One cast and sure enough.I clipped it from my leader and put on a 2/0 wolly bugger that had a yellow tail of marabo, a yellow chennile body, and a rib of a chartruese saddle,it also had a collar of a yellow saddle tied full.I started to fish with this and noticed that the tide was flooding stronger still.I almost stepped on a mouse.I watched him scampering along the grass toward the river.I reeled in my line as it was useless to fish, and tapped on the grass where the mouse was hidding.Thinking your going the wrong way.
I decided to just walk the meadow and look arround.I walked into what we call "Wino Hollow" and saw a bunch of Caddis flying arround.I broke down my rod and leaned it aggainst a tree,and decided it was now or never to go back and get my rod tube.
The tide was still pushing in strong and now flooding over the bank like nobodys bussiness.I thought hurry or youll be cut off.There was the mouse again heading for high hills, I just abbout stepped on him twice trying to get out of each other's way.
I was smart and put my rod tube in a tree,I fetched it and returned to the hollow to have a closer look at the Caddis,tan good to know.
I thought head down river to where my leanto was and wait out the tide.I walked arround the meadow to another spot on the river that has a dyke built arround the banking and all I could see was a flooded out river.
I looked toward my leanto and could see that the dyke was flooding but I could still make it.There was a wall of water about 20 feetwide but only a few feet deep.
as i approached I could see a few bugs floating and said aha now I know why I got a strike the other day.I looked closer and could see the main flow and saw all kinds of bugs.
I gathered a few for a while they were: mayfly nymphs,stonefly nymphs,drowned and strugling caddis,small spiders and 1 beetle.I said lucky me,no more chucking streamers,unless I want to test something.I looked toward my leanto and could see an empty can of beer that I know was inside the leanto yesterday and said to myself head for home.
I have not returned since but plan on it.I will be fishing a full sinking line with a short leader and my new nymph collection.
Trust me when I say I will post these patterns,with out pictures.

#12 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Daryn, makes me wish I was there. I like it when fishing stories include all the details about the life and scenery sorounding their experience. I read this fly fishing story on an Australian web site last week and really liked it as well.

I smell something in the wind

#13 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

Here is the "new" patern that got me a stike, it is a nymph,that I call the Pheasant Head.
Pheasant Head
Hook: Daiichi X510 #8
Thread: Black Uni 8/0
Tail: A few guard hairs,from a small clump of black fox tail
Rib: Kreinik blending filament #085, reverse wrapped a few turns
Body: Thread tappered to thorax
Gills: A few fibers from a grey ostrich duster feather tied on top of the shank
fairly short
Legs: A few fibers from a black saddle tied either side,or wrapped a few turns
clipped top and bottom
Shellcase: One purple/blue pheasant head feather tied flat on top of the hook
shank, slightly shorter than the gills.
Head: Small neat head

When I tie this fly I attach the tail then the rib. I make a smooth tapered body then reverse wrap the rib. I apply two coats of clear head cement.This gives the body a shine and makes the rib more durable. headbang.gif

I am sory I couldnt attach a photo.