Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wally wing tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

https://youtu.be/kKOTqJDJBFE

Ran onto this on Facebook.

Rick

#2 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

Was interested in the wally wing tool, but this is about specialized splicing needle (think rope splicing)e for opening thread for dubbing loops. On another video, Daniel also has other products like a mini CDC block and a dubbing brush that appears to be a rifle cleaning bore brush in a nice stainless holder.

I don't think Marc Petitjean is losing sleep.

#3 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

I didn't see a wally wing tool. I saw a needle with the eye cut open for splitting thread and the guy calling it a tool that he named after himself, I think.

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,632 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

looks like a fancy expensive needle for split thread dubbing technique not a wally wing tool

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#5 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:19 AM

I think this is the video

https://youtu.be/ZRSbJG294jI

There is a problem though. The tool does not produce the correct fold for the Wally Wing. If you use that fold your wings face forward. Wally Wings face outward (See my avatar). The correct fold is easy for anyone with three hands. I suggest keeping your vice empty to hold one end of the feather.

You need a duck or goose flank feather that is symmetrical around the stem.

Remove the fluffy part at the bottom evenly on both sides, keep going until you get to the thinner section of stem.

Next decide how tall you want the wing. Stroke the feather barbs out and down the stem slightly longer than you want the wing height.

Then put the base of the feather stem into your vice, with the curve of the stem downward from the jaws and the barbs out to each side.

Then fold the barbs upward like you are doubling an hackle. Once persuaded to stand upward from the stem draw them back.

The barbs should form half an oval with the stem forming the long centre axis. See the first photo below.

Folding this way will ensure the barbs are "behind" (tail side) of the stem when you stand the wing up. That way, when you peal them, the wings are in the correct attitude.

I do have a tool that can be used to make this fold

WWWW.jpg

This is not really a practical fishing fly, someone was silly enough to tell me I couldn't tie it, so.....

May USD_0094_zpsrh5nb2v1.jpg May USD_0092_zpsfj4dwfqy.jpg May USD_0091_zpsettlgzwl.jpg

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"