Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any opinions on this rod?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

Orvis trident TLS 9' 9WT 2pc

I'm looking at buying this rod used for a back up rod. I've never really used Orvis rods before and just wondered if anyone has any thing good/bad to say about this rod or any Orvis rod? performance/warranty/etc?

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Warranty- excellent

Performance- In my opinion, every new rod type that Orvis comes out with falls a bit short of the previous type. They should have stopped at the Silver Label, which was a great performance tool in the weight you've asked about here. Then they came out with the Trident, which was good but lacked the progressive taper of the Silver Label. Then came the T3, which I really didn't like when I tried it. The lack of power was almost insulting to what I was trying to throw (80 feet, a typical cast in New England surf).

In a nutshell, if you can find a Silver Label I'd go with that. But the Trident is pretty good too, especially if it's gonna be a back up rod for you. And I'd keep an open mind when it comes to the T3....it just doesn't seem to have the oomph that I need.

Your mileage may vary. wink.gif
Mark

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Mark...well heres the deal maybe you can give a opinion on it knowing the price. I "think" i can pick up this Trident for about 150-180$ like i said it will be a back up rod, i have a sage VPS for a primary rod but i have to send it in for repair so a back up rod is a must. anyway the rod will be used for 15-25# salmon....sound like a decent price for this rod? i "think it goes around $325 new

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

If the rod is in good condition, then that's a great price. I'd grab it, because it can handle fish of that size.

Good luck.
Mark

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Mark thats what i needed to hear (if that was a good price) i'll let ya know if i get it tommorow wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#6 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:20 PM

You could build 2 rods for that price Steve

OSD.
user posted image

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

Yeah i know Bob thats what i was thinking also...but the thing is i will be going on a trip to the au sable from Oct-17-23rd which is only 3 weeks away and still waiting to build my first rod i know there is no way i could get the blank and components here and get it built within 3 weeks time.

I need to take another rod with me on that trip because my sage is a big under the weather at the moment so i'd hate to be on a week trip and have it give up mid trip ya know.

Now on the other hand if you could help a brother out then i'd be all for that laugh.gif wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#8 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

3 weeks?
It's a piece of cake laugh.gif

Or maybe you would like to barrow my nice brown fiberglass club
(I know you like that one) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

OSD.

user posted image

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:02 PM

Naw i dont want to harpoon the fish so i wont need the herters wink.gif

seriously though if you could handle a rod for me within 3 weeks i'd be willing to go that route dunno.gif and make it worth your while wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:04 PM

What would you like (9 foot 8 weight two piece?)

PM me
user posted image

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:07 PM

9' or 10' 8 or 9wt would be the ticket ...call me if ya still have my number bob or i'll PM it to ya

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com