Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RiverCred

EP fiber vs EP Trigger point

Hi guys.

I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I fished a great simple dry fly known as an EP dun that uses EP trigger point fibers for the wing and floats like a cork. I really want to tie a few of these patterns up to match my local bugs and I do have some regular old EP fiber in a dun colour. While searching online I have been unable to determine if these two materials are similar and interchangeable or completely different. Since there is no hackle on the pattern the floatation of the fly would be due to the yarn alone.

I hope someone can shed some light before I overpay in shipping and duty to get my hands on this material.

Really appreciate any and all responses.

Nick

You could save yourself a good bit of money and go with Congo Hair from Flytyer’s Dungeon instead; polypropylene yarn, like EP Fibers/Triggerpoint/etc in a wide variety of colors for about 1/3 the cost.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks guys. I initially thought about contacting the manufacturer but figured theyd be a bit bias and try to hype up their products.

Ill have a look at Congo hair in the future but Im siting on a bit of original EP after a salt water tying binge.

EP Trigger Point International Fiber material is treated with Water Shed. The regular EP Fibers are not. As far as I know, none of the other suggested substitutes listed in the above comments are treated with Water Shed.

http://www.hareline.com/epq.html

This is Water Shed:

https://www.feather-craft.com/watershed-permanent-waterproofing-liquid

...and Poly, although it has inherent floating characteristics, does not come in as wide a color range as EP Trigger Point Fibers...

GQLsRbs.png

Rowan Nyman's DOA Cripple BWO...I use a lot of TP INT'l for Mayflies, Midges & Caddis patterns...

PT/TB

I did talk with Enrico at ICAST a couple of years ago, and he showed me how he used the fibers, and did say that it was treated to float. It is the only EP fiber that I have ever used. I use it for synthetic comparaduns.