Fly Tying
kyblev

Great Buys on Renzetti 2200 traveler

Hay Folks,

I don't know if it's just dumb luck or being willing to wait paid off. I was killing time at the Louisville Cabelas fly department and was shopping around for a fly vise. They had a Renzetti 2200 traveler base model priced at $199.95. I thought it wasn't a great deal but I wanted to look at it. The sales guy got it out of the cabinet so I could look at it. He then scanned the bar code and the price came up as $134.88. I asked him to scan it again and sure enough $134.88. Well I snatched it out of his hand before he could blink. He told me they were marked down to get rid of them?????. Well after my military discount and Cabelas points, I walked out paying about $90.00 for it. Don't know if it was just Louisville Cabelas or not, but if you are looking for a pretty good vise check your local Cabelas out. I looked at their site online and they don't show Renzetti Vises anymore. Maybe that's why their selling them off.

I just got to the hotel from a tying class at the Hoffman Estates Cabela's. I had to ask, "Where'd the Bargain Cave go?"

The asnwer, "The Cabela's across the Country have dropped the "Bargain Cave". They are now going to have "clearance" items in each department."

Looks like you lucked into a great deal.

Congratulations.

Everything I see on clearance at the used-to-be Cabelas near me is Cabelas' brand being apparently replaced by White River stuff. So, did you guys see a lot of Bass Pro branding in those stores?

I can't say. I did see a few things that were BPS. But I don't pay much attention to brand, I just look at prices.

Well I tried it out at another Cabelas today. My job took me to Lexington Ky, and I stopped in to check it out. Yes they had one left at $134.00, so I picked it up as a backup. I talked to the guy at the fly counter and he told me Cabelas was not going to carry or order anymore Renzetti vises. Folks, Cabelas is not advertising these anywhere for $134.00. The price at the store still shows $199.95 if they have any left, but when they scan them, the vise comes up at $134.00. Even the sales guy didn't know they were marked down. So if you live close to a Cabelas and need a good vise at a really good price, you need to stop and get one.

Bass Pro will eventually convert all Cabela stores to Bass Pro stores. They only bought Cabela's for one reason-get rid of a competitor. They should have just waited because Cabela's days were numbered anyway. Half their profits came from their credit card business. They sold that off before the Bass Pro deal could go through. Morris essentially just bought real estate and inventory and got rid of some competition.

Bass Pro will eventually convert all Cabela stores to Bass Pro stores. They only bought Cabela's for one reason-get rid of a competitor. They should have just waited because Cabela's days were numbered anyway. Half their profits came from their credit card business. They sold that off before the Bass Pro deal could go through. Morris essentially just bought real estate and inventory and got rid of some competition.

Hearsay and rumors ... conjecture and opinion.

I'm not saying you're wrong ... I'm just saying that nobody outside the board room truly knows why companies do what they do.

Morris could have given his product away at cost and not spent 4 billion dollars on putting cabelas out of business. Being an owner of closed up box stores is not a way to make money in real estate. He bought it to combine the hunting of cabelas with the fishing and boating of bass pro shop to make a mega outdoor store. Personally, I'm worried BPS will screw up Cabelas fishing department. BPS was always very much geared towards the bass fishing sector of fishermen and not so much for the rest of the angling community. Just one mans humble opinion.

That's a great price for a traveler so thanks for the heads up.

They have already screwed the fly fishing in the Cabbelas near me, 30% less floor space and changing to BP brands and quality. Boat area 5 times bigger and bass tackle area twice the size. Signs say Bass Pro. An hour and a half lets the BP big shots from Springfield visit often, The gun area is reduced but there are more hunting geegaws. The entire interior was repainted when BP took over. Depressing colors to me. This was a brand new store about five years ago and still had the new shine on everything. I'll soon stop going there more than a couple times a year, still stopping in weekly to see what Cabelas' stuff is being dumped today. Couple days ago it was all Cabelas waders @30-60 off.

Thanks for the heads-up on the "dumping" of Cabela's stock! I will swing by my local store on my way home tonight. If they're offloading waders, it never hurts to have a pair in reserve. Some of their reels are made by Lamson, too -- I wouldn't say no to one of those at a good discount. :)

I'm sad to see cabelas go, I was hoping they would more or less leave it alone, they had so much better selection used gun's, and sales where things actually went below msrp on occasion.

It may not extend to every store, some folks believe it will be by region. I don't know, except what I see here and this is the closest former Cabelas to BP headquarters, it was full of BP execs even during the negotiations.

Some of the fly tying feathers/fur/hair seem to be of lesser quality than in the past but wearing Cabelas label. With reduced lighting from crowding the shelves and the gray paint, it's hard to tell.

The hold over clerks from Cabelas both in fly area and gun area are somewhat disgruntled with the change in stocked goods and say the future is all BP. Lots of new clerks in all areas, for whatever reason. Very aggressive salesmen, some are.

I have also heard rumor that some brands and BP don't deal with each other at all. If so that would be additional reason to clear those brands out.

Fortunately I have three other fly fishing/tying pro shops within an hour so I'm not at all stuck with what they have.

Being the sucker for a good deal that I am. I went to the Cabela's here ... and they had the 2200 ... at $134.00.

I looked online to see if this was actually a deal, last night. I couldn't find a single one under $176.00. Most were 200 + 10 bucks.

So, I'll hate myself for a few weeks, but I bought one.

Mike, glad you were able to get in 9n the deal. I guess I got greedy, because I picked up another one at a different store. Being the penny pincher that I am (not cheap), I'm always looking for a deal.