Fly Tying
flyfisher801

Quality Tools

I'm new to fly tying but think I would enjoy it sense I love to fly fish. However I don't know anything about it, I've watched a few youtube videos on tying basic flies and the basic tools to get. I would like to see what peoples opinions are on what tools to buy and who makes quality stuff. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for however I would like to get some quality stuff but I don't need to get the "best" stuff right now as I would like to see if tying is something I will like.

I started years ago and bought an UMPQUA kit. I still today use alot of the tools, but slowy bought upgraded tools as I got better. This kit contained all the fly tying materials to do several flies. Even though right now I wouldn't suggest buying a kit with all the materials in it. Many of the materials in that kit, I still haven't used to this day!

My son (15) is just starting to get into fly fishing and tying. We bought him a tool kit (no materials) from Bass Pro for around $45.00. Yes, the vise isn't the best but for him to get started and see if he likes it, I figured go for it. J. Stockard Fly Fishing is another place you can use to buy materials and tools. I have a Bass Pro near me so it was just as easy to go there.

As for the materials pick 2 or 3 flies you want to learn to tie (Wooly worms or buggers and Griffiths knats, good starting flies to learn) and buy the materials for them. Then as you progress you can start buying more materials and upgrading your your tools. The tools you need to get started and actually tie a fly are the vise (of course), bobbin, and scissors. You also want to eventually get a hackle pliers, bodkin, bobbin threader, whip finisher(you can learn to do it by hand), hair stacker, half hitch tool (you can also do this by hand or use a small stiff tube). I have actually made some of my tools I use. Go to You Tube and search for DIY fly tying tools.

This is just my two cents, but it has worked for me. I promise you fly tying becomes very addictive. The first time you catch a fish on a fly you made it is an adrenalin rush!!

I only have 3 tools.

A vise (15$)

A bobbin (8$)

A whip finisher (10$) *you can do this by hand

Those are the only tools I have and I tie fairly large saltwater flies , and never found a NEED only a want for more tools like hackle pliers.

Hope this helps

Most everything I've read on the forums tell people not to buy the kits with the materials, so I will either buy just the tools in a kit or possible even pick and choose each tool one by one. Are the tools kits usually quality or is it better to buy the tools individually? Who is a good tool manufacture?

My whip finish tool is from Dr.Slick. I forgot about the bobbin but make sure it's ceramic. Also my vise is the aa chrome vise I believe, you can find it on ebay or amazon.

Good luck!

Tools kits can help alot especially if you are on a budget. They work just fine. I used the tools in the kit for years before I started upgrading. There are many brands out there, too many to list. I would just buy the tools kits to get you started. If you don't like doing it (which I doubt will be the case) you won't be out a lot of money.

Actually the Dr Slick tools are decent , maybe mid level. I don't like chrome plated hackle pliers, they tend to be heavy steel and heavy weight, I like the thin spring steel ones, which both grip great and are light weight. Most of Griffins tools are good, you could do far worse and maybe not a whole lot better than to start with a Griffin vise and Griffin ceramic bobbin or two. Scissors are up to you, I started tying with single edge razor blades and to this day find them better in some applications than scissors, though I have both. A pack of single edge blades will last a long time, you can get dozens of flies out of one razor blade, if you don't lose it like I tend to do lol. I suggest the use of a whip finisher but it's good to learn to tie them in your fingers too. Some Dr Slick whip finishers include a half hitch tool in the handle FWIW. Link to J Stockard : http://www.jsflyfishing.com/dr-slick-whip-finisher

This tool kit is not bad, you would need to add a vise of your choice to that : http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dr-Slick-Tyer-Pack-Tool-Set/744508.uts

My take on it is that you don't need super quality in most tying tools. Mine are all generic, no brand tools that work just fine. I thought I would eventually upgrade as I went, but ended up getting a few more decent bobbins for the price of one or two nice ones, two different types of decent scissors for the price of a nice brand name pair, etc...

If you must spend a lot to feel you are getting quality, and if you can afford it, go ahead by all means. But I would rather save what I can on bobbins, scissors, bodkins and whip finishers and put that money into a better vise from the beginning.

Kits look nice, but I wouldn't buy one. All you need is a vise, bobbin, bodkin, hackle pliers and a decent pair of scissors.

When I started, I bought each one separately, and that's still the best way to go. For a bodkin, you can just use a corsage pin, or something similar. Scissors can be any really sharp 3" to 4" scissors. While I use Dr. Slick today, for years I made do with an inexpensive pair of craft scissors. They just have to be sharp enough. For bobbins, almost any of the inexpensive wishbone bobbins will do fine. You only NEED one, but I have close to a dozen, in several styles. The hackle pliers are a tier's preference. I personally like the English style with long flat jaws, but, again, I have several in different styles.

Of course, as you progress in you tying skills, you'll identify other tools that make life easier, or just more interesting. Hair stacker, dubbing twister, half-hitch tool, rotary hackle pliers, whip finish tool, etc., etc. Don't try to buy everything all at once, and don't get hung up on having a matched set. Get what you need when you need it.

The vise I got in my first kit lasted 30 years +. I am still using the bobbin and hackle pliers from that kit. I've replaced the scissors a few times. Check out

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Vise-Tools-and-Material-Kit/product/1302120946/

Fully functional kit with basic tools that will last you through a few years.

Look at

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/

and get a "box" for a good supply of synthetic materials.

I never had the need to use hackle pliers. I DO tie large salty flies which aren't exactly to difficult to wrap hackle. I think that if you tie trout or tiny flies then a hackle plier is necessary due to the size (tiny) of the feathers.

I never had the need to use hackle pliers. I DO tie large salty flies which aren't exactly to difficult to wrap hackle. I think that if you tie trout or tiny flies then a hackle plier is necessary due to the size (tiny) of the feathers.

I understand what you are saying, but hackle pliers are used for lots of other things. They are a general purpose clamp that can furnish a 3rd hand when needed. To borrow an old advertising slogan, "Try it, you'll like it!"

I DO tie large salty flies which aren't exactly to difficult to wrap hackle.

Flats, do you have some pictures of those flies?

You got the Clouser down pretty good, I'm interested in what your saltwater flies with hackle look like!

Sorry for asking if you've already posted them on "The Fly Tying Bench" part of the site ... I might have missed them.