Fly Tying
Ron1697

Digital Fly Journal

Just thought I'd share an idea that I came up with last night.

I wanted a way to document all of the flies I have tied thus far (just started tying last week and love it!) as a way to remember what materials I used and to add a couple of tips that I found to be helpful for the next time I tie that certain pattern. I found an app called "Journey" which allows you to have a digital journal entry of each one and automatically syncs it so you access it from anywhere.

Thought I'd share, open to any other ideas. How do you remember document the patterns you tie?

Also, if anyone has fly patterns for small river brookies, let me know!

post-63390-0-95274500-1531916467_thumb.jpg

post-63390-0-90599200-1531916469_thumb.jpg

That's not a bad idea. I have three binders, books, and hand scratched notes with recipes of patterns I have tied or would like to tie.

Looking good so far. Keep it up and work on proportion. You will always be working on proportion. And remember, any fly will fish.

How do you remember document the patterns you tie?

i use my blog to document the flies i tie plus theyre all stored on my hard drive in appropriate folders

XjpYaba.jpg

i'm dont really like phone apps that need to know all the info on my phone. adding a fly recipe to an app doesnt need to know who is in my contact list

i use microsoft word to document flies i see on the internet or i just bookmark them

cdzQkG4.jpg

To each their own! I probably would have gone this route if I had not found the app. It is just easier for me to do it all on my phone rather than getting my laptop out

Welcome to the site, Ron.

If I had a smart phone, and I tied enough different patterns to need it, I might be interested in something like that.

A "grammatical pedantry syndrome" is a form of OCD in which suffers feel the need to correct every grammatical error that they see. Guess who?

I like your current signatures, flytire. I can't think of a single person like that. huh.png

I just wanted to point out, it should read, " ... sufferers ... " not "suffers". wink.png

laugh.png

I have a hodgepodge stack of printouts, some computer bookmarks and scribbled notes in a pad. I always though of being more organized but I don't tie enough different patterns that requires much organization.

Gotta love phone apps though. One word of caution on apps. They are the biggest, easiest and most successful tool out there for mining your personal information. If you have an Apple phone your good and don't have to worry about apps since apple vets all apps offered through their App Store. On the other hand android phones are the Wild West of phone apps. If I had and android phone I would not have a single app. As much as I dislike Apple phones it's the reason I switched to an Apple.

This app does give you the option to allow or deny the access of personal information (contacts, pictures, location, etc..) as do most apps on the google play store do. I am not an apple guy in any regard so I am not sure if it the same for apple app store apps.

I've had several different systems. I've abandoned each in favor of a new one. Ultimately the only system that seems to work for me at this time is to sit down and face my vise. There's always something new or old worth tying, or some newly inspired creation worth trying out. Between google, youtube, the books I've bought over time, my interest in bugs and tying, and my memory, it all seems to work out. And for me it's a great system... The worse my memory gets, the less I realize what I've forgotten.

Topic comes up from time to time, and I've yet to see anything better than Evernote, although many like OneNote instead. Especially useful for capturing web pages but Evernote's ubiquity across platforms is really a major boon.

I started using journey today. Far easier to use than word with easier search. For instance if looking for an ant but unsure of proper name type ant and all patterns appear. Its also more useful in that it shows pictures and name without recipe until you click on the one you want.

I have tied hundreads and some are my variants with no known recipe online or offline that is close so if I lose my last one then I might lose the pattern.

I use iOS and the permissions can be denied or allowed. The Android is the same but a different means to achieve the same results.

By far I plus 1 this product called journey. I liked it so much I did do the purchase in support of the author.

Great find and a great way to organize my mess of saved links and copied recipes.

Thanks for the post.

Like flytire, I have a Blog where about 90% of my recipes are kept. They are are also individually cataloged and stored on an external hard disk (La Cie). As another back-up, all of the recipes for the patterns I have tied are in spiral notebooks:

nnx34eV.jpg

I just completed a move to Pullman, WA from Los Angeles so my tying has been restricted for the past couple of months and will start up again in the Fall when all of the new household chores are completed...tongue.png

PT/TB

This app does give you the option to allow or deny the access of personal information (contacts, pictures, location, etc..) as do most apps on the google play store do. I am not an apple guy in any regard so I am not sure if it the same for apple app store apps.

Not trying to derail the thread but if it's an android app it does not matter what your telling it to do or recognize. It's what's built in and going on without you knowing it. Ive attended quite a few cell phone and digital media forensic classes. While far from an expert I did learn never to install and use apps on an android phone. It's actually quite frightening what goes on behind the scenes with seemingly innocuous little apps like the flashlight app as an example. I actually hate how Apple is geared toward making you reliant on everything Apple but Apples encryptions and safeguards are by far top shelf. Apps offered through Apple are safe. Android apps are the Wild Wild West where anything goes. Even with the IPhone I will not do my banking or shopping through an app but rather go directly to the websites.

As much as it pains me, I recommend to everybody who uses their phone to shop, bank, make payments, buy Starbucks coffee or whatever to get an iPhone. Nobody is after your pictures, contacts or fishing logs. They are mining your most closely guarded secrets like PINS, passwords and account numbers and they are doing it through little stupid apps like the flashlight app and thousands of others.