Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

UV Resin

Has anyone used any of the uv resins that didnt come from the fly tying market, as in CCG or BB? I have been looking around but not completly sure what to get. I do know you can get the lights from other places. What are your thoughts?

Kevin

i'll bet that none of the current uv resins were formulated/designed for the fly tying market.

these uv resins existed long before someone figured out they could be used for fly tying. they most likely come from the electronics, dental and finger nail industries/markets.

i currently use bb and diamond hard resins

Actually that is wrong. Clear Cure Goo was created specifically for fly tying. A lot of great info online about CCG. CCG has tons of different types - thick, thin, flex, fleck, hydro, brushable, ect - love CCG

Most of the info I have found is electronic based. I'm sure it didnt start from the fishing industry. Where can it found other than the fishing area.

Kevin

Actually that is wrong. Clear Cure Goo was created specifically for fly tying. A lot of great info online about CCG. CCG has tons of different types - thick, thin, flex, fleck, hydro, brushable, ect - love CCG

Actually, I believe you are wrong. The technology, materials, and expertise were around LONG before any of it was used in flies.

I am willing to bet the CCG guy didn't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to go get a chemical engineering degree so I can make a goo for fly tying which will cure with a blue light!!" starting from zero.

It may have been tuned and tweaked to get exactly what they sell, but it definitely came from existing materials.

Actually, I believe you are wrong. The technology, materials, and expertise were around LONG before any of it was used in flies.

I am willing to bet the CCG guy didn't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to go get a chemical engineering degree so I can make a goo for fly tying which will cure with a blue light!!" starting from zero.

It may have been tuned and tweaked to get exactly what they sell, but it definitely came from existing materials.

I have to agree with JZ on this one. I seriously doubt that a single item on the market for fly tying was developed specifically for that niche. The size of the potential market pretty much precludes such a thing happening; especially with 'synthetics', and such. The market simply will not support the research/development that would have to go into such a product.