Fly Tying
Mikelab

House fly

Here is a version of a house fly that I have been messing around with.

It is on a size 14 Tiemco 200R.

Body is black uv ice dub with mylar sheeting pulled over. color the inside with a black marker and it gets real green on the opposite side.

Wings are blue dunn hen hackle.

Eyes are balled up rust orange Antron dubbing, figure eight them to the hook with black thread.

Head is black Antron dubbing added after eyes.

Legs are black Turkey biots. Used Clear Cure Goo to make a small platform to glue the legs to, and then a tweezers to bend them into shape.

I am a new member and have never posted before, so I hope I did it correctly.

I would value any feedback anyone can give me.

post-47772-0-86637900-1361901764_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty good job. Another good material for the abdomen is stripped peacock herl. Lay a piece of herl on the fly tying surface and gently rub a pencil eraser over the strand of herl. When you wrap the stripped herl around the hook, you will end up with gaps in the herl.

Edit: never mind

That is beautiful ... and I hate using that word to describe nasty, disease carrying houseflies.

I didn't see this when you first posted it, I am glad I have now.

And you posted it correctly ... nice picture of the fly, too.

Oh, I was looking at pictures of houseflies, for comparison. Just to put it out there, I think your color selections and "shiny" abdomen resemble a Blue Bottle Fly more than the common House Fly, which has a dull tan and black abdomen.

Really nice fly fly! I hadn't heard of sticking legs into a gob of goo... that's a clever idea, rather than tying them to the body. I guess one could use epoxy or hot glue as well.