Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Unwaxed thread keeps moving along hook while tying base

I am using Veevus thread to tie my first soft hackle fly; unfortunately, it is unwaxed, and as I start to tie on the hook, it keeps moving along away from the eye.

What does everyone else use to keep the thread from moving while starting to cover the hook?

The simplest solution to this would be to pick up a block of bees wax from hobby lobby or another source and run the thread over it as you go. I like to hit my thread with wax when im locking materials down.

That would work as well, im not sure how your tying but if you hold your tag end tight and wrap back over it that should be it, it shouldn't move.

In other words I hold the tag end in my left hand in front of me. Make a couple wraps going to the right, then go back over those wraps and the tag end to bind it.

When holding it tight, it just unravels... I think I'll try the dubbing wax on the hook and see how that works; otherwise, I'll run the start of the thread through some dubbing was... that should do the trick!

Thanks for the reply...

SD

Are you wrapping the thread on itself, tight enough?

The second and consecutive wraps anchor the thread by pinching the first wrap and the tag against the hook. Make sure to make these wraps tight.

After you have a few wraps down, the thread should be secured and not move at all for the rest of the tie.

I know how to do it... I try to go over the initial tag, but that's when it moves... I'll try it making the first few wraps tight and get back to you.

Yup... tight on the first few turns does it! Thanks for the advice; I wasn't doing it tight enough...

Thanks again for your help... I appreciate it!

SD

Yep, got to be tight,

And If the tag is slipping you could try folding the tag back over and trapping it before trimming, like you would do tying an articulated fly.

Glad you figured it out. Most of our problems we have, like this one, is not the materials, but poor technique. There or Four warps forward and Three or Four wraps back over it with tension works for me.