Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

do you tie daily?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

No, I only tie when I need replacements or if I am tying to give to friends.

Sometimes I need expert advice which is why I talk to myself.

#17 brooktrout308

brooktrout308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Oh yes I figure its the only way to get really good at tying .

#18 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Pretty much

#19 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

I did but just can't make the time now. Tend to tie to replace what I'm missing now. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#20 TIER

TIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

Yes. I am makeing multi-hook saltwater flies right now.

#21 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

I might go on a daily stretch now and then, and I might not tie for a month. Depends on a lot of things, eventually life will allow more free time that isn't already spoken for.

#22 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

I usually tie up a few flies daily, especially if I stumble onto a new pattern I want to try out. I will tie a few of those everyday for awhile until some new (mostly new to me) pattern comes along. I have quite a few fly boxes (mostly Perrine aluminum of days gone by) so I currently have lots of room for more flies. I am an old guy with arthritis who does not get out much (I talk my GF into taking me to the National Park maybe once a week to some easily accessible spot where I can throw some nymph patterns at the small local trout) so I need something to do to help me occupy my time. Reading and fly tying takes care of that.

Joe

#23 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

With 60 hour work week, wife, house, 6 grandchildren and working as a professional upright bassist on weekends free time for me is precious.   I'm definitely a more prolific tier from November to April as the raw New England weather forces me to question how badly I want to catch trout. I enjoy tying and fly fishing equally so given a choice of a couple hours on the bench or a couple hours on the river, the weather generally makes the decision for me. 35 degree wind driven rain will usually lose to a glass of bourbon and dry warm bench.  In the warmer months I tend to tie to replace flies lost in action.  In the winter months I work on new patterns and techniques.

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#24 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

i should mention that there are days when tying flies, they just dont come out the way they should and other days when the vise collects more dust

The fish care less than we do!

#25 David Parker

David Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

No I don't. I thought I would once I retired, but my rod business takes priority over tying, so most of my tying is done during winter when fresh water is hard here in Ontario. I do visit this site almost daily to see all the great patterns, which leads me to take time out to try something new when I get out fishing.

David Parker
Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Ontario, Canada

#26 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

At least 1 fly every day, if at all possible.

Regards,
Scott
Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#27 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

I might go on a daily stretch now and then, and I might not tie for a month. Depends on a lot of things, eventually life will allow more free time that isn't already spoken for.

Yeah that's what I thought. When you can get up and do whatever you like you may just find you will be busier then ever. That's been my experience.

#28 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

I have to say 90% of my fly tying is in March or evenings during the winter.  Other things doing the rest of the year.  ;-)

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#29 Abel M.

Abel M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:10 AM

Yes everyday a minimum of 25 flies. I then take a car ride to the lake and as i do my cardio (walk) ( minimum of 8 miles) i offer my flies to fishermen. The hobby pays for it self!

#30 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:35 AM

At least twice as week to keep my core pattern box filled and ready to go. I call my core patterns the handful of patterns I use 

every trip.