Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Skinning a quail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KristyStevens

KristyStevens

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:36 AM

I went hunting with my friends this weekend and we managed to bring home about 15 quail. I would love to skin a few of them and cure them for fly tying, but so far I haven't been able to find any helpful information online about how to go about doing such a thing. Could anyone give me some step-by-step instructions? I have never skinned a quail before, nor do I have any knowledge regarding the curing process. Any help would be great. Thanks!

#2 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:06 AM

If you want to skin the quail just to be able to use the feathers for fly tying, you do not have to be very particular about how you would do it. A quail (or any game bird) that is to be prepared and skinned for mounting by a taxidermist has to be skinned much more precisely and carefully, but that's a whole different story. Lay the quail on it's back and with a small sharp knife like a paring knife or better still, an x-acto knife, make a cut down the breast to the tail. Start peeling the skin toward the wings and then cut the wing bones from the body with small side cutters or something similar. Either cut around the leg bones or cut them off and then cut through the base of the tail trying not to cut it from the body but it doesn't really matter. Peel the skin over the back and when the head is reached, cut it off. You can throw the head away or save some of the small white feathers found there. Cut the underside of each wing and get as much of the wing meat out as you can. 

Buy some powered Borax from the grocery store. Put the skin in a small cardboard box and pour some borax over the flesh side of the skin and lightly rub it in. Turn the skin over and rub some borax into the feather side. Lift the skin out of the box and lay it on some newspapers and allow the skin to dry. If most of the borax has come off, sprinkle on a little more. Don't put the skin in the sun, in fact a normal room temperature place in doors is best. After a week or so, the skin should be pretty dry. It doesn't hurt to let it dry even a few more days. Then when throughly dry, store the skin in a plastic bag. Hope this helps.

Joe

#3 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

I found an excellent page and it should be bookmarked on my other device, will try to look. If I remember correctly, it was something like this: https://www.backyard...graphic.129174/

If you google something like, "how to process quail", there are a lot videos too. 

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

They're pretty easy to skin it's the only way I've even processed game birds it pretty much peels right off, I usually cut the wing off at the elbow and legs at the knees, the skin tears easily once you make a small cut no need to cut the length of body.

#5 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, uh, er, quail.

Joe

#6 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

This book was my bible many years ago and you can probably pick up a used copy on the net...

FLY TYING MATERIALS by Eric Leiser, 1973

(Their procurement, use, and protection)

Most of the info is still valid and I havent heard of anything better...
Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#7 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

Quail Feathers for CatPhishing?

#8 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Oh boy!  Quail (for me) is the easiest bird to skin.  I can usually pull off the whole skin in one pull.  Then while it's inside out I douse it with Borax and keep it in a bag for a couple weeks.  For my uses, this process keeps the skin in tact enough for feather storage and super easy to do.  When dry I turn the skin feather side out and store in freezer for a bit and keep an eye on bugs.

Jeff

#9 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

Quail Feathers for CatPhishing?

I had to search that, but I think you're on to something, reads like some past posts by one time poster "where to in some where" and eating some kind of fish bait in ?Sacramento.