Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do I not accidently get hooks all over?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Dominecker

Dominecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

The magnet is the deal. I take the magnetic patch out of hook bags and lay it on my desk to put the hooks on.

#17 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

This might sound stupid, but if your tying area is located on a carped floor, you could get a office chair floor mat and put it under you. At least any dropped hooks would land on it and not get lost in the carpet. If carpet is a factor here. 

That works great for hooks. Beads not so much as they bounce right off the protector into the carpet.  Guess how I know.

Tungsten beads, though not strongly magnetic, will be picked up by a strong magnet. Find them all the time this way. Doesn't work for brass though.

#18 Striperknight

Striperknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

I used a magnetic bowl like this

https://www.amazon.c...745267253&psc=1

https://www.harborfr...tray-90566.html

#19 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

We ditto the Harbor Freight magnetic bowl. A couple of them have worked for us for years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#20 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

Maybe impale them in your feet directly from the bag? You'd lose fewer that way.

That's how I find the hooks that fall onto the floor. Just shuffle and wallah, the feet find 'em

#21 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

I have magnetic sheets all over the base of my vise.  Still doesn't prevent hooks from going on the floor.  I have a magnetic sweep,  a large magnet with a 4' handle.  I run that over the floor, the rugs in the hallway, the carpet pads on the stairs to the first floor, and the living room rug.  It amazes me that I find hooks in all these places, not to mention the bathroom.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#22 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

The magnet is the deal. I take the magnetic patch out of hook bags and lay it on my desk to put the hooks on.

This is what I do as well.

#23 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Those bowls are great, but the coin magnets and the magnets from refrigerator advertisers in strategic places help more with the drops.  I have an old CB Fire Stick on a magnetic mount that works as a sweeper. The sheet magnets are ok but never seem very strong.

#24 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

Striperknight, I have a 4" HF magnetic bowl I don't use often.  Thank you for the idea!

As everyone (probably) knows, you can't be too careful.

Bill_729

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------