Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What flies for steel-head?

6 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorsmanfool

outdoorsmanfool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

well i am going to go fishing for some steel-head for the spring run and i was wondering what flies should i bring with me tomorrow?

Flies i am already bringing........ Egg pattern, Wooly buggers, nymph's, egg sucking leech's, mostly all the basics i think? what would you guys bring and suggestions would help i will quickly tie them up!!

Thanks, Nick.

#2 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

Where ya fishin'? Heaps of ties right in this sub forum that would suit you well, popular patterns these days are flies you swing, broadside, hitch, n skate - speys, intruders, various streamers, articulated patterns, tubes. If you are in a pinch a big black bunny leech is a good producer.

#3 outdoorsmanfool

outdoorsmanfool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

I am fishing in Michigan at a river 30 minutes from me. but this river is water color is pretty dirty so do you think i should go with  neon green, hot pink ect colors... or darker colors?

#4 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Sweet, i am non familiar with michigan rivers but if the water is high i go for oranges, sometimes pink, and black or purple, claret always works, try big profiles (silhouette), otherwise check what everyone else is catching them on, if it were me i would huck an orange heron or black intruder.

#5 ISUTroutBum

ISUTroutBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I pretty much ditto what FlyFishin'Jam said. I like (as primary colors) black/blue, black/purple, black/pink, or black/orange combos in dirty water, with substantial profiles. At the end of the day they are steelhead, and they will smack anything . . . so long as you find a 'player' (i.e., a metalhead aggressive enough to smack a fly). Good luck! Let us know how you did.

#6 outdoorsmanfool

outdoorsmanfool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

well i brought home 1 and threw back about 5 i found that they really loved these gold bead-head nymphs. tied on a size 8-10 i lost a lot of fish also but all around it was a good day.

#7 bad fish rising

bad fish rising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

im from Michigan
here at tippy we were doing good on small things with estaz or UV because our water is clay
we used riffle crush eggs & estaz springs wigglers
black was doing good too
BADFISH RISING

Reply to this topic