Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Pearly #12 LW

4 replies to this topic

#1 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

12pearl_zps17b92bdb.jpg

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#2 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

I am totally ignorant about the tandem hook configuration, Piker, can you tell me why it is necessary? It seems to me that it would be harder to get a hook set with those big hooks. Just wondering...

Shoebop

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

These are only size 12, so quite small compared to some. The traditional look for a salmon fly is a double hook, I'm not entirely sure why this was so but the flies do ride nicely across a flowing river and the additional weight the double hook provides without adding bulk to the body in the form of lead wire etc is a bonus.

They find a hold in the fish as easily as any single hooks I use but I am yet to suffer any problems using them. Trebles are still used a fair bit too but these do cause a bit more fish damage and snag every thing, at least in my experience so I have gone away from these.

You made me flick through some books with your question, it seems that the double hook is mainly to provide the stability in a turbulent flow where a single will roll the double more rocks.

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#4 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Oh yes sweet work, that is midgety! LW indeed.

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

A single variety too

singlepearl_zpsfc76b1e1.jpg

Reply to this topic