Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What hackle for tying Bombers?

5 replies to this topic

#1 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hi all, I'm just getting back into salmon fishing after a very long absence. I used to tie all my wets, but never my bombers. I feel like giving this a shot. So I was wondering what type of hackle you all use for this? I plan on tying them Wulf style, with a split front wing. Best online places to get some?

Thanks!

Simon

#2 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

For all my salmon flies, including the few Bombers I tie, I use Chinese cock necks. They are, relatively, cheap and have plenty of hackles in the sizes you are likely to use. Also they come in a huge range of dyed colours. You could use strung hackle, but I would want to see them before buying. Also I don't tie enough of those flies to use that quantity of feathers in a single colour.

Also there is a little tool I make that helps with holding everything out of the way while you spin and trim the body. The details are here, you might find it helpful.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

I can confirm Crackaigs band tool works well for many areas you want to hold back part of the fly. Using different dia bands helps for smaller or bigger hooks.
As far as the hackle goes also agree buy the cheaper Chinese ones and they tend to carry the larger feathers your after.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

I agree that cheaper rooster saddle or neck hackle will work fine. I don't do any Salmon fishing, but do tie both Bombers & Glitter Bugs for stream bass. smile.png

These were tied with saddle hackle. 

100_4276-Copy.jpg

100_4274-Copy-Copy.jpg

100_4255.jpg

#5 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thanks all for your input! So it you feel the chinese capes are of sufficient quality for these dry's, I will give it a shot as they are 1/3 the price of the Metz hackles I was considering.

Any suggestions on where to pick them up?

Thanks!

Simon

#6 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread but I was wondering if a bomber in a Cheetos color would be good on carp. Anybody try that? 

Shoebop

Reply to this topic