Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What hackle are you using for classic patterns?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Alpine4x4

Alpine4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Wondering what is your guys' favorite hackle for tying classics like the Thor, GBS, etc.  I've been using Schlappen and Chinese necks mostly with good results.  Theres one pattern that is throwing me for a loop and thats the Kalama Special which calls for Golden Badger, quite rare to find a Golden Badger colored Chinese neck!  I've used Indian Rooster for it, but the barbs are very sparse.  Was thinking of trying a Whiting Bugger Pack, but not sure if I'll get the length I need for the size 2-4 flies.  I've also thought about using the Whiting American Rooster saddles.  If anyone has a source for Golden Badger for fly sizes 2/0-8 please post them and let me know what other hackle your using for your patterns with success.

#2 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

I generally use hen saddles or Chinese necks. For the Badger, you might try strung saddle hackle. It can vary in size and quality, but there are usually enough usable feathers and it's cheap. It might not go to 2/0 though.

#3 Christopher K

Christopher K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I generally use hen saddles or Chinese necks. For the Badger, you might try strung saddle hackle. It can vary in size and quality, but there are usually enough usable feathers and it's cheap. It might not go to 2/0 though.

I'll second these thoughts. Usually you can find some hackle for that size fairly easily as well. The american saddles are great for classic streamer patterns but lack the taper needed for the full dress stuff.

#4 Alpine4x4

Alpine4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I havent been able to really find a true "Golden Badger" strung hackle that is readily available.  Some of the "Badger" that I am finding though is actually close enough to Golden to sub.

I mostly use strung right now, but am slowly acquiring necks/saddles for my go to colors.

Reply to this topic