Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

My new pet Dinosaur

Nothing cooler than having a pet dinosaur. Just got home with this guy, a Delhezi Bichir. He's about 9"-10" right now, will grow to about 17" when full grown. This species actually can be traced back 200 million years. Very prehistoric fish. I just started adding a new pair of 120g 4'x2'x2' tanks to my office/mancave/fish room and this guy will call one of the tanks home.
gcnRaP.jpg
FvaoEq.jpg
SkV8R1.jpg
Short video of him swimming around. He's a really active guy for a Bichir, swims around a lot.

That's a good looking fish Steve. I used to have a gorgeous pair of these guys until the heater shorted in the sump and fried em.

That sucks man. I've known a few guys in my cichlid club that had a heater do that as well. That's why after the holidays I am going to start buying heater control units to put on all my tanks. That will give a secondary protection if one of my heaters ever short / stock on.

Reminds me of the "grinnle" we have down here in Dixie. Prehistoric as heck. Looks like the critter that crawled outa the water to become amphibians! They are in our swamps and said they survive in the mud when areas dry up and reemerge when flooded. They are fun to catch and mangle the lure and will bite! In La. they collect the roe from them and make a kind of caviar!

IMG_1933.png

Many moons ago....

IMG_1030.png

What does it eat?

It's a carnivore so it'll it thawed shrimp, krill, bits of fish like talapia, pellets and haven't tried wafers yet but some do eat wafers as well.

Denduke bowfin are fun to catch. I've caught some good size ones here up to about 8-9lb range. They are a very prehistoric fish as well and also can breath air.

I run heater control units now,but heaters need to be changed about every year or so.I started running a grounding probe when I got into saltwater over 10 years ago.

I didn't use those "in-the-water" heaters ... I used one of these.

The fish didn't last long, but they sure did taste good !!!

I swear to Mikechell everything tastes like chicken. BTW your recipe for Spotted Owl was great. Hey that is a cool fish. In Lake Wylie where I live there are many posters that show Bowfin and Snakeheads. Afraid to ask the cost. Your wife thinks under ten dollars like Fly fishing equipment right?