Fly Tying
keef

Starter fly tying kit

It's been many years since I tied any flies. We live in New Mexico and fished the San Juan. Now I split my time between Vegas and my Missouri. I had an accident last week, a head injury and will not be doing any work for a while. I got to thinking about things to do and recalled fly tying.

My son has taken possession of my fly tying equipment so I'll have to buy a new kit. I'll be using poppers and dry flies for bass and bluegills. Is there a shop in Vegas or on the net that has good kits. Most of the ones I saw on the net got poor reviews. I'm still in MO but could have someone pick up a kit if one is available. Otherwise I can use the net.

Thanks for any help.

Most of these kits aren't very good, it's better to just buy the items individually as you need them. I recommend the wolf/anvil atlas vise then a ceramic tipped bobbin holder in store you can figure out the little tools one of our members has has a good selection of materials for sale in the sales section here.

There might be a shop near you in Mo. I know of a couple. Lebanon, Cassville, Branson, Springfield, KC, St Louis have fly shops or BassPro type stores that carry fly tying stuff.

You could go the budget route; find a vintage Thompson Model A, pick up a Bobbin holder or 2, a Whip finish tool and some hackle pliers & Bob's your Uncle. Or, buy a pre-made tool kit & buy an expensive vise that'll do everything except catch the fish for you.

Whichever way you go, definitely go the route of deciding what flies you want to tie, then only buying the Materials you need to tie the flies you're interested in. All in one kits may include Materials you'll never need, or other superfluous knick knacks.

Whatever you decide, it's a great way to pass the time.

Alan :P

I think everyone has a different opinion. If you liked the one you had, get another one like it. Good scissors, bodkin, ceramic bobbin, +/- bobbin threader, whip finisher or hackle pliers. A dubbing twister if you need it. You can make a bobbin threader and bodkin.

Sorry to hear of your injury. Good luck!

I'm definitely in the No Kit camp. You generally get an inferior to a moderate vise, and a whole lot of stuff you won't ever use. I'd recommend getting an Anvil Apex (or whatever it's called now) vise and a pair of scissors and a bobbin holder and some 6/0 thread. Make a bodkin if you need one, and a bobbin threader.r Spend the rest on hooks and popper bodies and thread and some cheap China hen necks (if you want to). Poppers are fun to tie and are about as inexpensive as you can get...you can get a $1 pair of flip flops and tie a great bass catching series for just about nothing.

I'm definitely in the No Kit camp. You generally get an inferior to a moderate vise, and a whole lot of stuff you won't ever use. I'd recommend getting an Anvil Apex (or whatever it's called now) vise and a pair of scissors and a bobbin holder and some 6/0 thread. Make a bodkin if you need one, and a bobbin threader.r Spend the rest on hooks and popper bodies and thread and some cheap China hen necks (if you want to). Poppers are fun to tie and are about as inexpensive as you can get...you can get a $1 pair of flip flops and tie a great bass catching series for just about nothing.

I completely agree with you Gene-

You could go the budget route; find a vintage Thompson Model A, pick up a Bobbin holder or 2, a Whip finish tool and some hackle pliers & Bob's your Uncle. Or, buy a pre-made tool kit & buy an expensive vise that'll do everything except catch the fish for you.

Whichever way you go, definitely go the route of deciding what flies you want to tie, then only buying the Materials you need to tie the flies you're interested in. All in one kits may include Materials you'll never need, or other superfluous knick knacks.

Whatever you decide, it's a great way to pass the time.

Alan :P

Fannys your aunt!

I hope keef is OK, with that head injury and he hasn't checked back to see what the answers are.

Feathercraft is in St. Louis, they do retail and mail order. I've bought from them online, they seem like a good outfit.

There's Thompson vises on ebay for $20-$40. Pick up one of those, some good scissors (I like Anvil's myself) and a couple cheap bobbins. I still whip finish by hand for some reason.