Fly Tying
eastern fly

Muster/Roll Call

Mike Chell ... Ex-Marine.

Mike I thought the saying was once a Marine always a Marine.

Mike Prybis US Army 89-99

Mike Chell ... Ex-Marine.

Mike I thought the saying was once a Marine always a Marine.

Yeah ... when I went in, I thought that, too. But "Semper Fidelis" is a two way street. When they laid me off because of "Force Reductions" after Desert Storm ... well, that negated their faithfulness to me. Hence, I have no faithfulness to them anymore.

I am an ex marine, through and through.

Quondam Fi !

Poopdeck present. Also a victim of force reduction. I was a bit put out by it but it turned out to be the best thing ever for me. Was able to start a different career with a far better retirement while still getting a little something in retirement from Uncle Sam. Army forced reduced to Army reserve and when they reduced all the combat arms units out of the reserves I went to the National Guard to stay a 12B combat engineer. A job I truely loved. 24 years combined service ranks E1 through E8. When I received my retirement orders there was a second order with it busting me back to E7 for retirement purposes because I did not have the time in grade to retire an E8. Gotta love how the Army works.

Yeah ... I've heard stories like yours, Poop.

Mine was different. When they separated me, I got no benefits and was told my time-in-grade vs. time-in-service prevented transferring to another MOS or branch. By the time I was being told this, I was already so livid I didn't care anymore.

The company I work for, and the job I do, is perfect for me. I truly love it. But I don't "credit" the military lay off for my position now. They didn't do me any favors. And of course, I am saving for my retirement ... no benefits from the government.

I don't even tell people I was in the marines. If it comes up, I say I was in the military. If pressed, I'll admit it was the Corps ... but I don't volunteer it.

I used to be a walking talking billboard for them ... but that stopped when they betrayed me.

Now, I usually tell kids to steer clear of joining. "If you're lucky enough to avoid being killed, they'll just stab you in the back anyway."

Wow ... sorry for that. I thought the bitterness was behind me. Guess not.

Good stuff Mike and perfectly understandable to those who went through the force reduction years. The force reductions were not pleasant. The marine corp, being much smaller than the army, got hit far harder then any other branch. Just when you thought it was over, BAM, they hit you out of the blue with a second round. Although my MOS was not rocket science it was still an in demand MOS and I was actually fortunate that at least I had a place to go and make a little money while utilizing the GI bill that led to my career change. Change is hard for me and I went kicking and screaming only to learn years later the change was really really good to me. GO ARMY!

MSGT Duarte, my senior DI nearly 60 years ago in Little Korea --- FT Leonard Wood -- earned a combat promo to officer grade during the Korean War and made Major (temp grade) during the shooting war with loads of medals to show for his service. He was reduced in rank back to an NCO permanent grade by the Point ring-knockers after the war and got stuck there though the early 60s when I was his among his "pieces of meat" He probably retired before the Vietnam bulid-up and the next round of "blood stripes". ( As I recall, you could then retire at the senior grade you ever served at honorably no matter your grade at retirement.)

The experience did not make a great humanitarian of him as I recall, But, over time, I came to credit he did some important things for many a stubborn, shiftless, snot nose. I'd gladly lift a glass to him now.

One of his sayings doled out liberally to deflect complaints was "The shaft is long and there's room for many more". Proved true and served me well as a life mantra. I do not remember my kids ever reacting to it well but they still talk to me.

Who forgets their first DI?

wunbe