Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Collins commercial grab bag?

I am finally bringing myself close to ordering from Collins, from all the good feedback, despite having to do it via mail.

But I have a couple of questions for those who ordered the commercial grab bag from him:

- Is the grab bag four capes and four saddles? The website says every cape comes with matching saddle, but that would be almost too good to be true in the case of the grab bag.

- Are they perhaps small capes and/or saddles?

- Finally, you guys say you can choose colors, but his website says that the grab bag is in colors of his choice. New policy or covering his bases just in case?

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you call him. He's a nice guy. The grab bag are usually shades of his choice but he might be able to accomodate you.

website says the following:

Commercial Grab Bag $60.00 4 capes in standard colors of our choice. A great buy at a great price!

no mention of saddles

call him to verify

Phone: (607)734-1765

I think I put up the information correctly. Collins chooses the colors and he has been considerate in the past. Saddles have not come with the commercial grade in my past orders.

Yes, I ordered the grab bag several years ago, when it was 5 capes for $50. The saddles are not included. Also, as you need to call him anyway to place the order, tell him what you need or what you don't need, and he'll try to accommodate you. He used to tie flies himself, so he understands.

What you will get is 4 different capes in usable colors. They will be what he happens to have the most of at any given time, but they are good quality. If you are just starting out, this is a great way to build up your supply of dry fly hackle. Of course, if you've been tying a while and already have a good selection of capes, this may give you duplicates.

I would heartily recommend the grab bag for any new tyer.

Well... made a quick phone call to inquire about the color selection in the commercial grab bag.

I was told that colors are their choice and one gets no say.

And, if you spoke with the proprietor or ordered anyway, sounds like the decision is final.

But, if you talked to a stressed-out hired hand, working the holiday times, and just following orders, you may wish to speak to the "Decider-in-Chief."

A smarter business person may very well accept a deal based more on the buyers terms, than one's own, if a Sale hinges on it. I do it frequently here, in order to patronize local brick & mortar rather than put my money over the I-net. I am no longer surprised when we reach a deal, that saves me some $ but is not quite as good as online. But I won't be "stupid" about it, and neither is the proprietor. 2 cents

He's a one man show so maybe u caught him on a bad day. I've have had some pretty long conversations with regarding the hackle business and he's has always shared his time in the past. I don't think u will be disappointed with the grab bag. Excellent value.

I ordered from him earlier this year, I just sent him a check and a not with my address and asked for two colors specifically in the grab bag if it was possible, got exactly what I asked for and a note from Collins himself saying he was happy to help and thank you for the order.