Fly Tying
jayvansickle

Are all craft furs the same?

Can I get craft fur at Jo Ann fabrics and expect it to be the same as craft fur from a fly shop? I apologize if this has been covered before. I did a search and found about a million hits.

No. Next...! :)

Tying craft fur, extra select is the longest I have seen. Will not find it at JoAnns.

You may find some, but it probably will be short and coarse.

That is what I found once, but I have not looked again in a long time.

Bimini is mostly correct. Mostly, what they'll have in stock is a "wearable" length, about 1.5 inches or so. And usually, it's a natural fur mimic, no bright colors.

But like many stores of Joanne's ilk ... they sometimes get special items in. At any given time, you might find exactly what you're looking for in there.

Craft stores are more likely to have longer fibers "furs" ... since they're more appropriate for "teddy bear" type toys.

What Bimini said

If all you are trying is little panfish flies and small streamers the Hobby Store stuff will work. For big Bass flies and salt water flies you will need the Extra Select Craft Fur.

I’ve never seen that sold at the craft and hobby stores

Actually, the JoAnn's type shorter synthetic hair can be useful too. You can make zonker strips from it AFTER using Elmers glue on the flimsy backing to hold it together.

They also have useful color combos -- orange or yellow and brown and black or gray and white -- for example that make into interesting 'double bunny' streamers with glued on eyes.

There are some interesting barred pieces. It can be used as a component in compound dubbing loops.

Rocco

I've used some pretty good craft furs over the years, but even what some fly shops sell is not always the best. I've used some too that was not good at all. I very much like Polar Fibre, which is a type of craft fur, and is sold for tying. Otherwise, you really have to take a good look at what you find to see if it's going to be good for what you're tying. Length is often the biggest issue, but that can depend on the fly. Price is not always a good indicator either. wink.png

Left is craft store, much wider pinch to get a taper that quickly comes to an end, because it is short.

Right is Extra Select, narrower pinch that tapers down much more gradually, because it is long.

I did see a rug made with craft fur that was long, 2-3 inch fibers that someone found in a craft store. I think it was hobby lobby.

I did see a rug made with craft fur that was long, 2-3 inch fibers that someone found in a craft store. I think it was hobby lobby.

At Fly Shop prices that rug is about $3,000! :D