Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Need help blending yellow and rust Antron to be rusty yellow

Hello all... I am tying Greg LaFontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa which calls for "rusty yellow" body dubbing;

I have looked everywhere for that particular blend, and finally gave up looking. I bought some Antron Sparkle Dubbing in rust and yellow and am going to blend it myself. Problem is: I can't find any examples of the color, so the Q is: what color is "rusty yellow"? Mostly yellow, or mostly rust? Half and half or some other proportion?

Any help locating examples or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

SD

The Orvis video describes the under body and shuck as golden yellow Antron, and the body as yellow-brown Antron. To me rust color is usually a reddish brown, think Rusty Spinner. I'm not sure what the proportions in the mix would. flytire's suggestion of 50-50 would be a good starting point. I have a marker that is "Spanish Orange" which is close to the color in the video. I'd say more a yellow-orange leaning toward yellow. Take your time with the blending, it will take awhile to get rid of "clumps" of color and smooth it into a solid color.

LaFontaine’s Sparkle Emerger

Hook: Standard dry-fly hook (here a Tiemco 100), sizes 12-18.
Thread: Black, 6/0.

Underbody and shuck: Golden yellow Antron, carded.
Body: Yellow-brown Antron.
Wings: Natural deer hair, cleaned and stacked.
Thorax: Brown Australian possum dubbing.

Note: Pick out the Antron to create a “bubble” around the body.

Well, I took a bit of yellow Antron and a bit of rust Antron, cut them into 1/4" pieces and dropped them into a Mr. Coffee grinder; this is the result! Little tiny balls of Antron and not really blended... so how do I fix this, if at all? I looked at dubbing cards, but $99 is way out of my budget; anyone know of any do-it-yourself plans to make a set? (I have a woodshop, the only thing I need is where to find the card "brush" materials.

post-56493-0-04308600-1516119892_thumb.jpg

Well, I took a bit of yellow Antron and a bit of rust Antron, cut them into 1/4" pieces and dropped them into a Mr. Coffee grinder; this is the result! Little tiny balls of Antron and not really blended... so how do I fix this, if at all? I looked at dubbing cards, but $99 is way out of my budget; anyone know of any do-it-yourself plans to make a set? (I have a woodshop, the only thing I need is where to find the card "brush" materials.

Try putting in a jar of water with a cup or two and shake that like crazy for a minute.... Then strain fibers through paper towels and dry thoroughly in sun, if available....

Or buy - Amber Sparkle Yarn....

Try putting in a jar of water with a cup or two and shake that like crazy for a minute.... Then strain fibers through paper towels and dry thoroughly in sun, if available....

Or buy - Amber Sparkle Yarn....

Thanks for the response; I'm trying to blend Antron... tried the water bit (after using the blender), and didn't work for me... air is next...

I would suggest either mixing them with your fingers or using the baggie/compressed air method (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCgKEg_Wtw). Ive never had good luck using a coffee grinder for purely synthetic materials.

Joe

When using the compressed air method, should the Antron be cut into short (1/2") lengths? or left as is? I guess I could try both...

SD

But antron is a different creature than hair as far as blending Joe - have you mixed antron with the air technique?

I have not so can not speak with any certainty about how that would work. I suspect that it will be difficult.

BCT

I think that is why I need to cut them into short lengths (I read that somewhere on the web, but can't find it now)...going to give it a try both ways and see... will post results...

SD

** UPDATE ** Well, the air method doesn't work with synthetic (Antron) material; I first left it the original length, and when I blew air into the plastic bag, it just made one large ball, with nothing blended. So, I then cut the two colors of Antron into 1/4" pieces, stretched them out, and tried it again... nothing was blended, just smaller balls of dubbing. So now, I'm going to try wool cards, which should work. Will post the results in a few days after I order and recieve the wool cards.

Interesting. I have used the air method with both natural, synthetic, and a mixture of both with excellent results. I cant say that Ive used only Antron, but the most important aspect of the method, Ive found, is to move the tube all around the inside of the bag while using the compressed air. Im sure you did that, so....?

I will add that since you want the dubbing for the body, and La Fontaine used touch dubbing, you will want the fibers cut up in small pieces. You might look at The Book Mailer - http://thebookmailer.com/tbm/product/touch-dubbing-copy/ - and see if they still have some of his original dubbing blends available. Just a thought.

Joe