Fly Tying
lykos33

up eye

OK, I am getting a little aggravated by my seeming lack of proper hooks! I watch all these vids from great tiers and they all have such a huge stock of varying hooks. When I finally win the lottery, I will have every type of hook known to man....until such time can anyone give me a supplier for up eye hooks? I'd prefer to keep my business in the States or Canada, simply because I hate shipping fees from afar...so, any leads from the wise ones here?

Murray

Murray - Check out J. Stockards website. They carry a wide range of TUE (turned up eye) hooks. Here are a couple different types.

Small TUE hooks for soft hackle flies

Curved Grub hook (TUE)

Steelhead/Salmon Hook (TUE)

Steelhead/Wet TUE Hook

TUE Larva/Caddis Pupa Hook

Once you know the model number & hook style your looking for, you can do a quick Google search to find other vendors, if you want to shop around. I'd recommend Stockard's as your first stop. Their customer service has been outstanding, in my experience.

I found these links handy for comparing a range of different hook choices/equivalents.

Printable Hook Comparison Table (PDF File)

Killroy's Hook Chart Link

Check out belvoirdale.com. The Gaelic Supreme Trout Hooks come in many different styles both dry, wet, nymph, and streamer lengths. There is a page of salmon fly hooks and these too have up eyes. These are a little pricey, but this is the best selection of up eye hooks you will find in one place.

For the salmon fly hooks, they are available from Daiichi, Mustad, Tiemco, and Gamakatsu dealers.

Mustad at one time had an up eye hook in their classic trout fly series. I believe it was the 94842. I have a few dozen of these, but I haven't seen them available for a while. Partridge also had a Capt. Hamilton up eye dry fly hook if that's what your looking for. It may also be hard to find.

Standard disclaimer: I am not connected to Belvoirdale in any way. I was once a long time ago a dealer, but not in the last 15 years.

Thanks folks, didn't realize JStockard had any up eyes. Those links covered pretty much all I was hoping for. I think as far as salmon flies, I'll just go with some blind eyes I have "on order"

Murray