Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ev8d

I Envy This Guy

Dron Lee. I know hes a member here and i love his website. it seems like i always forget about this guy every few months but when i find him again he goes and amazes me all over. i don't know if its been done before but i think its cool how he did the tail on this hollow popper. his tutorials on his site are done well, but i wish he did tying videos on his own youtube channel

https://youtu.be/1BXXMmoCo6I

not 100% sure how to embed and too lazy to look it up so the link is above in case this embed doesn't work

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1BXXMmoCo6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had thought about thinning shears before for fly tying. That's what he used to trim the tail. Pretty cool video!

whenever i see the name Dron Lee i smile, because i,m about to be treated to some fly/eye candy that i have never seen before

Anvil has sold thinning scissors for fly tying for many years.

Model 90-T and 55-T

Very useful for synthetics.

Regards,

FK

Anvil has sold thinning scissors for fly tying for many years.

Model 90-T and 55-T

Very useful for synthetics.

Regards,

FK

They have been sold for hair cutting for a lot longer.

"They have been sold for hair cutting for a lot longer."

I remember,, many years ago, when my hair was thick & full,,, barber using them on me.

Regards,

FK

i knew about thinning shears guys. i was referring to how he tied the material onto a piece of wire then made that into a circle with a piece coming off it that he used to tie it to the hook. different way to build bulk with less material or fill out the rear of the popper as water flows through, i guess. at 2:20 in he picks it up and forms the circle and then you can see it tied on the hook at about 2:44 into the video. then he forces the foam over the wire formed tail. i didn't bother googling hollow popper or anything to see if it had been done before, but thought it was cool either way

p.s.

thanks SilverCreek for showing me how to embed

I've seen Dron Lee's flies posted in various places. Always enjoy seeing what he's come up with. Incredible talent for sure!

On another site I frequent, there's a fellow from Finland who also has a wonderful talent for painting lures. He also hand carves them, and creates the bodies in other forms too. Although he's not tying flies, much can be learned from him, especially for anyone who enjoys making & painting poppers or other surface type bugs. Of course, what this fellow does is not necessary for painting poppers, and most of us won't do the detail he does, it's still very cool to check his talent out & day dream about what it might look like on a popper body!

www.stripersonline.com/ surf talk/topic462615-solars-homemade-lure-corner/