Fly Tying

This is my new video. Let me know what you think.

Borski's Redfish Slider's are great flies for redfish and seatrout. The most common inshore forage for the gulf fish is brown shrimp. This fly mimics the brown shrimp wonderfully. It moves really nicely in the water due to being tied with craft fur.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 Hook Size 2. (you can use any saltwater long shanked hook)
Weight: Dumbell Eyes (I used 5MM size)
Body: Craft fur (I used tan, but you can use any color to match the shrimp in your area)
Collar: Streamer sized saddle hackle (Red, pink, or orange to resemble the egg sack on shrimp).
Head and upper collar: I used elk hair, but its more traditionally tied with deer hair. Elk hair tends to be slightly less buoyant, but deer hair is easier to spin
Music: (Happiness & Sunny) Bensound.com

Hi Mcfly...

Liked the video composition ....not so much the fly

You've come a long way in a short time bud ..... much better progression than myself I might add, so keep it up .

Retro

Hi Mcfly...

Liked the video composition ....not so much the fly

You've come a long way in a short time bud ..... much better progression than myself I might add, so keep it up .

Retro

Thanks! Can you tell me what I did wrong with the fly? Or you just don't fish that specific fly?

Just the fly generally ...... you could probably remove the fuzz from the hair before you put it on the fly though ( just a suggestion ) :)

Just the fly generally ...... you could probably remove the fuzz from the hair before you put it on the fly though ( just a suggestion ) :)

I don't mind the fuz, it gets clipped out after trimming. But for the vid your probably right. Lol. I'm so used to doing things a certain way... I never take that extra time to do it cause it doesn't matter at the end. But I've gotta remember these things for vids. Thanks for the help.

So do you find the fly is not as effective as others? Is that why you don't like it? Or is it just not a pattern you like to tie?

Thanks for the comments and help. I love tying flies, and love doing these vids. Any suggestion that helps me improve the vids is greatly appreciated.

I typically don't have a use for it .....but I may try it out on some of the larger freshwater species we have here.

The one tied by 'In the Riffle' is not bad.

I have tied something similar years ago but never caught a thing on it .....but hey that could be the fisho .lol

I typically don't have a use for it .....but I may try it out on some of the larger freshwater species we have here.

The one tied by 'In the Riffle' is not bad.

I have tied something similar years ago but never caught a thing on it .....but hey that could be the fisho .lol

Yeah, it's more of a saltwater fly. Typically I use it when fishing inshore on the gulf down in south Texas. Freshwater is not the place for this fly.

In the riffle does great work. He also had some higher end materials than I have, so he is going to tie a bit nicer looking flies. To be able to tie so many flies on my budget, I have to get my materials at a lower cost. However soon I might be getting better stuff. Ive partnered with a few other guys. One is a fly guide that will be working with me making some awesome action videos of catching fish. Another is a fly casting instructor that will be doing some casting instruction on camera. So I'll be improving and expanding my channel in the near future. but they are also getting me some discounts on tying materials.

Up until recently I would tie flies to sell on eBay. So I had to keep costs low in order to sell at the stupid low prices needed for eBay. I couldn't go buy $50 hackle, or high end deer/elk hair. At least not expecting to make money selling flies when I was selling them for $1.25-2.00 each. Haha.

I will say though, the in the riffle guy does a bit better work than me. I'm still learning the video tying thing though, I'll get better soon. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

I thought you did a pretty good job on the fly and it was a great video. I would only suggest maybe a shorter collar but that is just my preference. One thing about the Borski slider is that, like a lot of really effective shrimp patterns, it isn't very pretty in the vice. Lefty Kreh's Y2K shrimp looks like a shih tzu that has been towel dried, but it sure catches fish.

I thought you did a pretty good job on the fly and it was a great video. I would only suggest maybe a shorter collar but that is just my preference. One thing about the Borski slider is that, like a lot of really effective shrimp patterns, it isn't very pretty in the vice. Lefty Kreh's Y2K shrimp looks like a shih tzu that has been towel dried, but it sure catches fish.

Thanks! Yeah they for sure aren't pretty. But like you say, they catch fish!

It's funny, some of my super realistic shrimp patterns don't catch as many fish as this fly, or something simple like a crazy Charlie which doesn't look much like a shrimp. Go figure... Haha

Yeah I do usually tie the collar a bit long. I like my flies to be a bit uhhhh "messy". For some reason, messy flies catch fish more. But this time I tied a bit longer than normal. I have trouble when tying on camera. I get all nervous and make mistakes. I'm getting better though with the camera thing. My first video I made was of a clouser minnow. This is a fly that I've tied 1000's of times. I screwed up on the fly all 3 times I shot the video. Lol. I never mess up on that fly normally. Of corse that was my first video, and I have gotten more comfortable being in front of the camera.

Since your doing voice over anyway tie 3 with the camera rolling pick the one that turns out yhe best and cut the other two. Tying 3 flies without touching the camera will help get past the nerves.

But in all honesty I think your video is good but I think the fly was sloppy. And I dont mean that in a smart ass way at all but a helpful one. I judge which videos I watch based on the finished fly. This is another reason for my previous suggestion about tying three pick best.

Also if your doing things like not combining out the under fur say why in the video.

Keep tying and doing videos we all love videos :)

Just don't start adding tons of music and less descriptions ! We have enough of those kinds of videos around as it is. Good job IMO.

Just don't start adding tons of music and less descriptions ! We have enough of those kinds of videos around as it is. Good job IMO.

Couldn't agree more about the music videos lol

Since your doing voice over anyway tie 3 with the camera rolling pick the one that turns out yhe best and cut the other two. Tying 3 flies without touching the camera will help get past the nerves.

But in all honesty I think your video is good but I think the fly was sloppy. And I dont mean that in a smart ass way at all but a helpful one. I judge which videos I watch based on the finished fly. This is another reason for my previous suggestion about tying three pick best.

Also if your doing things like not combining out the under fur say why in the video.

Keep tying and doing videos we all love videos smile.png

Yeah I hear ya. I will start doing that. I couldn't before because I would film with my iPhone, and filming in HD only allowed for 8-10 minute film time. Also, I was talking at the camera rather than voice over. I got in the habit of tying one fly and done. I got a new camera that allows for 30-40 minutes of straight filming time. Good thoughts. Thanks man! I will start back with the 3 or 4 ties then pick the best.

I don't take anything you say as "smart ass" don't worry. I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at tying flies. I get by, and think I do pretty good. But for sure I am not amazing. I don't pretend to be either. I started tying for myself, and I notice that fish didnt care if I spent an hour on a fly, or 5 minutes... HAHA They ate flies no matter how sloppy. Then I started selling some of my flies on Ebay because I had tied more than I could ever think about fishing in a lifetime. That allowed me to buy a few more materials as well. But the price you have to offer on Ebay is so low, I couldn't go spend 20 minutes to make a fly perfect. I had to tie them quickly, which accentuated my "sloppiness". For the video's I do need to remember to slow down, and your suggestion of tying multiple in a row (and slow down with each) will really help.