Fly Tying
flytyer166

spring loaded vises

spring loaded vises  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are talking about vises like Regal or knock off vises like it.

From my experiences with those types of vises are rather mixed, I think they are great for flies that are 14 and larger. Though I have heard guys say that they spit small hooks across the room, though I have not have this happen to me.

With that being said, spring style vises are nice cause you never have to adjust for different sizes hooks.

Perhaps someone who uses one on a regular basis can expand on this a bit more...........

I've got a Regal Medallion and I love it. I have tied from 2/0 down to size 20, no problem. A little care needs to be exercised in putting the hooks in the jaws, but once they are in there, they are not going anywhere. I started tying many years ago on a Thompson Model A. When it was finally time to upgrade, I was looking for a vise that was simple to operate, had rock-solid hook hold and would allow me to turn the fly in the jaws while I was tying. Regal does all that.

For a time I used one of those vises that are made in India and it worked fine. One of the vises I have now is Regal and I have put 22's in the jaws and had no problem so far.

I also used an Indian made Regal-knockoff for 20 years and have now upgraded to a Regal Medallion. I shot some small hooks across the room with the knockoff. Didn't happen often, but it does take some care in hook placement. No problems with the Regal, but its only been a year since I've had it. I love the spring load vise, so simple and easy to use. Very personal issue though, lot different vises out there and they all have their own fans. I tie in the size range of about 2/0 to 20.

Tom

I tried a friend's Regal on a camping/fishing trip in '09. Tied about a dozen flies with the Regal down to size 18. The Regal an excellent vise in my opinion, very nice.

i had a regal until recently.. i loved it.. just did not use it much after gettign my norvise..

i got 6/0 hooks in mine.. never tied much below.. 14.. but i know it is capable of tying down to 24.

nice vise.. built to last several lifetimes..

I've got a Regal Medallion and I love it. I have tied from 2/0 down to size 20, no problem. A little care needs to be exercised in putting the hooks in the jaws, but once they are in there, they are not going anywhere. I started tying many years ago on a Thompson Model A. When it was finally time to upgrade, I was looking for a vise that was simple to operate, had rock-solid hook hold and would allow me to turn the fly in the jaws while I was tying. Regal does all that.

wow thats neat i too started out on a thompson model A from 1943. my grandpa gave it to me. i have since then put it in a display case along with some flies from that time period and a couple of materials bags and catalogs

I have used the Regal for about 20 years now, and it is about the only thing I use for tying. There are a couple of problems with them that I always warn folks about when I am asked about mine; one of which may have finally been corrected.

The first has already been mentioned; the launching of very small hooks into orbit! The second is a direct result of this tendency. The steel in the jaw tips has apparently been over hardened, which ultimately leads to chipping of the edges of the jaws due to the forces at play when they 'slap' together after having launched a hook. The buddy who talked me into getting one has had the jaws on his replaced at least twice now; and possibly three times. I have very small chips in mine, but not severe enough to warrant a factory replacement.

The new stainless steel jaws should resolve the chipping problem.

Other than this, I can highly recommend them for the same reasons previously mentioned.

perchjerker

I, like perchjerker have had some small chips in mine after I had bought it used about 15 years ago but it really hasn't had any problems other than that. A terrific vice that I've been using more for tying conventional bass fishing jigs (4/0 - 6/0 hooks) but never had many problems with tying down to a 22. I'm currently using the Regal for basic trout flies and jigs but have enjoyed using my Peak for most other trout flies.

Either way, a great vice!

Todd

I had one that was used for 15 or so years before I bought it. He said had over 20,000 flies tied on it. I used it for about 3.5 months and then the spring inside went bad. It got so that when closed with no hook the jaws would not completely close and the smallest hook it would hold was a 8 without slipping. For the abuse and also he said he debarbed every hooks as well in the vise, I think it played its part and held up as long as it could

I had one that was used for 15 or so years before I bought it. He said had over 20,000 flies tied on it. I used it for about 3.5 months and then the spring inside went bad. It got so that when closed with no hook the jaws would not completely close and the smallest hook it would hold was a 8 without slipping. For the abuse and also he said he debarbed every hooks as well in the vise, I think it played its part and held up as long as it could

if its a regal they would have repaired that spring for you.. they stand by their product..

did you ever contact them?

I've tied on a lot of different vices over the years but my Regal gets the most use by far. I tie a lot bass flies on it and rarely go smaller than 14 but I've never had problems when I do. In all my years, I've never spit a hook out but I have on occasion not set my hook in there properly and it will re-seat itself with a surprising popping sound. I've always heard that they have very good customer service but for those that dealt with Regal, were they able to replace the chipped jaws easily?

I also have a regal medallion that i use a lot. I have midge jaws on it and i have no problem going from a 32 to 2. Just have to pay a bit of attention to how you load the hook or you will have some rocket hooks :boxed: